“When I do it, I do it good,” said the elderly female driver of a silver Cadillac Catera on May 18 at approximately 2:30 p.m. She had narrowly avoided a head-on collision on Cardeno Drive near Via Zurita. “Pff…I just had to go to Home Depot to get a pot to wrap up my hose in my front yard…so I don’t have to look at...”

The two left-front sections of both cars were mangled, a tire flattened. Scraps of metal, a car mirror, and pieces of bumpers lay on the road between the two vehicles. The Catera had been travelling north on Cardeno when it collided with a BMW convertible headed south.

“She was speeding and over the double line as she was coming down the hill,” claimed the elderly woman. “It was almost head on…I swerved over.” The driver of the BMW did not wish to make any comments.

An SDPD traffic controller from the Retired Senior Volunteer Patrol showed up; two tow trucks followed 20 minutes later.

“The police aren’t coming,” said one of the drivers. “I’d like them to come to measure.” But the RSVP officer informed all parties that the police would not be coming to the scene of this accident for two reasons: “The City just doesn’t have the manpower and no one was seriously injured.”

“My thumb hurts,” said one of the drivers, extending her hand in the air to reveal a red, swollen thumb.

To see video of the accident scene, click here.

Comments

Visduh May 22, 2010 @ 1:47 p.m.

Ain't it great? There's an accident, and the cops won't come because nobody was "seriously" injured. Who makes that call? Often in the aftermath of accidents, injured people just don't realize they are hurt, sometimes badly. That adrenalin and denial go to work, and the reaction is "I'm fine." For many years now local law enforcement has refused to do accident reports unless someone was transported to a hospital. But how can the typical motorist establish guilt or responsibility without some sort of record? Ans: You can't. Maybe a witness, but nobody wants to "get involved." So, now, San Diegans are paying a Rolls-Royce price for police protection, and getting nothing for it in the case of traffic crashes that don't send someone to the hospital.

Grasca May 23, 2010 @ 5:41 a.m.

Does the publisher cap the number of stories with photos and videos that any one non staff person can submit in a given pay period ? By my calculations some non staffers could earn as much as $2500 per month if they are prolific which seems likes a lot of money for a small publication's budget. I am also curious what staff earns versus non staff. It would seem that staff such as Mr. Bauder with his superior credentials would be given preference in terms of being printed. While the human interest stories have some appeal, they are far from professional in my opinion and need to be weighted in terms of how much any given non staff person appears in print. Before anyone sharpens their quills I am not suggesting curtailing First Amendment rights but merely asking how a small publication can support non staff contributions from prolific amateur journalists and still balance their budget.

CuddleFish May 23, 2010 @ 8:16 a.m.

$30K a year for a bunch of cheesy stories???? What a racket!

Dang, I hope all these little Lois Lanes be reporting all that income to their baby daddy, welfare worker, and the IRS. ;)

CuddleFish May 23, 2010 @ 8:33 a.m.

I consider that remark threatening and I am reporting it. If posters are going to lose their anonymous status by someone divulging their real name on the forum and attempting to blackmail them into silence, that is going far beyond the pale. Further, it is unbelievable that someone who has complained bitterly in the past that posters are threatening his family by merely mentioning the fact that he has one, can turn around and directly threaten to expose what he may know about another poster.

Appalling and disgusting and hypocritical to say the least. I hope the Reader will sanction this poster in the strongest terms as it is my understanding that he has been warned about this conduct previously.

Grasca May 23, 2010 @ 8:55 a.m.

Posting Rules Interactive areas, discussion boards, chat rooms, blogs, etc., are intended to encourage public debate. We expect people to differ — judgment and opinion are subjective things — and we encourage freedom of speech and a marketplace of ideas. By using these areas of SDReader.com, you are participating in a community that is intended for all our users. Therefore, we reserve the right to remove any content posted on our site at any time for any reason. We prohibit profanity, libel, spam, racial epithets, and the harassment and abuse of others.

Grasca May 23, 2010 @ 9:05 a.m.

If a person details his/her family life in the SD Reader, a reasonable person might assume this information is in the public domain. I would suggest that anyone who has put this type of information into print might consider removing it or not disclose it in the first place as the SD Reader advises.

"Other Specifics About Interactive Areas. To protect your safety, please use your best judgment when using these forums. We particularly discourage divulging personal phone numbers and addresses or other information that can be used to identify or locate you. If you make such disclosures either through postings on the bulletin boards, chat rooms, in classified advertising you place or in other interactive areas, or to third parties in any communication, you do so fully understanding the consequences of such disclosures and with a knowing consent that such information could be used to identify you."

CuddleFish May 23, 2010 @ 9:13 a.m.

It is beyond concerning, it is disturbing and frightening, when one poster threatens to expose what he may know about another poster. This chills public discourse. What is insane about this particular comment is that Grasca's comment was purely directed at Admin on a matter that had nothing whatsoever to do with refriedgringo. That he feels compelled to threaten blackmail against another poster, and he has done this in the past both to Grasca and myself in this forum, is outrageous and far beyond acceptable conduct. On any other site I have been on, this would be grounds for the strongest sanctions.

CuddleFish May 23, 2010 @ 9:15 a.m.

I see that the comments have been removed.

Admin, I would suggest that the followup comments be removed also, since they now have no context and would only serve to continue to stir the pot.

Thank you.

David Dodd May 23, 2010 @ 9:30 a.m.

Dear Admin: Please leave the comments that are up. It will at least allow for people to wonder what in the hell went on in here. And, it will allow that Matteo is a very gifted journalist, in spite of threats of lawsuits, unneccesary and irrelevant harrassment, and general mother-effery.

CuddleFish May 23, 2010 @ 9:36 a.m.

You see what happens when you give a mouse a cookie, Admin.

Creating monsters by allowing them to run on without sanction seems to be the specialty on this forum. The lesson never seems to be learned.

David Dodd May 23, 2010 @ 10:35 a.m.

Wow. How many people is one commenter going to be able to run out of the Reader wesite? Cookies, mice, lessons, sanctions. What an idiot.

David Dodd May 23, 2010 @ 11:48 a.m.

Hey, Grasca, wasn't it you who published in here some of Carolyn Matteo's personal information? You didn't get it all right, but you got some of it. So, basically, it's okay for you to do it, but not me? Do tell. San Diego local politics needs to know what you're up to. All of that information on the sign-up sheet that you deny is in conflict with the ACT, and you're crying "WOLF"? Spare me.

Visduh May 24, 2010 @ 3:44 p.m.

Gee, and here I thought this was a blog posting about an auto accident. Yep, that's what started all this down the road. I don't know any of these people, and now I think I wouldn't want to know them either.

David Dodd May 24, 2010 @ 4:29 p.m.

Sorry, Visduh, my bad. I get a little ticked off sometimes when people launch tirades against writers who craft from the gut. I should've kept quiet. Sometimes I can't help myself, I seriously dislike duplicit a-holes with a political axe to grind. I reckon I should keep my suspicions private. After all, I'm supposed to get along with everyone in here. Sorry if I ruined it for you, 'twas not my intent.

Grasca May 24, 2010 @ 6:13 p.m.

I must be in Mass as I hear a mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. Or do my ears deceive me ?

David Dodd May 24, 2010 @ 7:15 p.m.

Aluminum foil is available at the lobby, for those who hear things in Latin that aren't said. Unwriten instructions include making a hat from the foil, thereby eluding some message from God that never came.

Grasca May 24, 2010 @ 11:45 p.m.

I am starting a novena for the penitent bloggers if they exist.