1. One Southern California municipality recently offered its citizens big discounts on electric lawnmowers if they would drop off their old gasoline mowers at a local stadium parking lot. 1950 mowers were collected. What stadium did the mower-drop take place at?
A. Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
B. Qualcomm Stadium
C. Dodger Stadium
D. Angel Stadium
2. State senator Curren Price of Los Angeles has proposed raising money for the state by allowing WHAT on license plates?
A. personalized colors for an additional fee
C. longer, personalized messages for an additional fee
D. music videos, paid for by advertisers
3. Which California university suspended the activities of its Muslim student union for planning to disrupt the speech of a diplomat from Israel?
B. UC Irvine
C. UC Santa Barbara
4. TrueCar.com, a Santa Monica auto-pricing-information company recently studied the purchasing trends of cars by women and report that which automobile was most likely to be purchased by a woman?
A. VW Beetle
B. Mazda Miata
C. Cooper Mini
D. Ford Mustang
5. Which Pacific Beach restaurant and bar is facing opposition from residents to a proposed expansion?
A. Filippi’s Grotto
C. Pacific Beach Shore Club
D. World Famous
6. Abram Carabajal, an Oceanside highway patrolman, was convicted on June 21 of bribery and perjury for:
A. dismissing traffic tickets in exchange for money
B. dismissing traffic tickets in exchange for sex
C. dismissing traffic tickets in exchange for drugs
D. dismissing traffic tickets as part of a protection racket
7. Interim superintendent Bill Kowba has been appointed as the fourth superintendent in five years to lead the San Diego Unified School District. Who was the last superintendent?
A. Tom Payzant
B. Terry Grier
C. Alan Bersin
D. Carl Cohn
8. A giant statue of what character dressed in a Boston Red Sox uniform was recently vandalized and subsequently removed from the front of the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana?
A. Homer Simpson
B. Bugs Bunny
C. Bob’s Big Boy
D. Mickey Mouse
9. Which SUV has had over 46,000 units recalled?
A. Suzuki Grand Vitara
B. Kia Sportage
C. Ford Flex
D. GMC Yukon
10. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, San Diego is the 8th largest city in the U.S. in population. Which of the following cities did not rank higher than San Diego?
11. Which of the following cities is considering charging at-fault drivers in auto accidents a cleanup fee?
A. Chula Vista
B. National City
C. La Mesa
12. Which of the following banks now offers the option of having an ATM receipt emailed to customers?
A. California Bank & Trust
B. Comerica Bank
C. Union Bank
D. Wells Fargo
13. Which California mayor is under scrutiny for accepting thousands of dollars in free tickets to sporting events?
A. Antonio Villaraigosa, Los Angeles
B. Gavin Newsom, San Francisco
C. Ron Dellums, Oakland
D. Curt Pringle, Anaheim
14. Which Southern California community’s city council recently gave permission to members of a gated community to shoot rabbits?
C. Del Mar
D. Mission Viejo
15. The San Diego County Board of Supervisors voted 4-1 on June 22 to permit a limited number of medical marijuana dispensaries in the unincorporated areas of the county. How many dispensaries did they agree to allow?
16. General Stanley McChrystal was dismissed by President Obama from his post and replaced by General David Patreaeus. McChrystal was the military chief of what operation?
D. U.S. Special Operations Command
17. Who said in recently released recordings that President Obama was “henpecked” by his wife, Michelle?
A. Newt Gingrich
B. Mitch McConnell
C. Rod Blagojevich
D. John McCain
18. A government investigation has revealed that nearly 1300 inmates in the U.S. have collected more than $9 million. What was the source of the money?
A. lottery tickets purchased by spouses
B. educational grants
C. payoffs from bookmakers
D. tax credits for homebuyers
19. Which California city decided to lay off ALL city employees effective July 1?
C. Paso Robles
20. Employees of which local school district recently voted to abandon the California School Employees Association and begin a new union of their own?
A. Poway Unified
B. Grossmont Union
C. Sweetwater Union
D. Coronado Unified
- D, Angel Stadium
- B, advertising
- B, UC Irvine
- A, VW Beetle
- C, Pacific Beach Shore Club
- B, dismissing traffic tickets in exchange for sex
- B, Terry Grier
- D, Mickey Mouse
- A, Suzuki Grand Vitara
- C, Atlanta
- A, Chula Vista
- D, Wells Fargo
- D, Antonio Villaraigosa, Los Angeles
- D, Mission Viejo
- C, 16
- B, Afghanistan
- C, Rod Blagojevich
- D, tax credits for homebuyers
- A, Maywood
- A, Poway Unified