• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

Shortly after 3:40 p.m. on July 6, firefighters responded to a 911 caller who reported flames coming from a dryer on a balcony at 642 Ocean Lane. After they learned what they were up against, firefighters called additional units to the three-story apartment complex.

The two-alarm blaze proved to be a challenge, according to Imperial Beach fire chief Tom Clark: “A narrow alley, power lines above, a stairway to go up. No easy access, we had to take hoses up ladders set against second-floor balconies to get to the fire. We had a fire actually blow out windows, preventing firefighters from getting inside.”

A resident of the building, who did not want to be identified, said, “No washer and dryers are supposed to be in the units,” then pointed up to the charred dryer sitting on the second-floor balcony. “That dryer is illegal.”

Asked about the dryer, Chief Clark said, “It could have been a dryer or it could have been a barbeque. Fire investigators will determine the origin of the fire.”

Over 40 firefighters from six different agencies respond to the blaze, which caused an estimated $2 million in damages. Two of the units were destroyed by fire, two from heavy smoke, and one from water. No firefighters or civilians were injured, but a cat died and sheriff’s deputies had to assist a disabled man on the second floor to safety.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader

More from the web

Comments

CuddleFish July 8, 2010 @ 4:34 a.m.

A resident of the building, who did not want to be identified, said, “No washer and dryers are supposed to be in the units,” then pointed up to the charred dryer sitting on the second-floor balcony. “That dryer is illegal.”


Oh, that's an interesting detail that I didn't see in the news!

The woman in whose apartment started said that her housekeeper saw flames coming out of her dryer. She said she had just moved there three days prior. She did not want her face shown on camera, or her name used. It was her cat who was killed in the fire.

0

Ken Harrison July 8, 2010 @ 5:54 a.m.

Peter, very good reporting. I didn't hear any of the morning news channels with the dryer details. You scooped them all!

0

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close