• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

Shortly after 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, February 24, Teri emerged from the shower and thought she smelled burnt toast. Hearing strange sounds coming from Mark's room, she opened his door to investigate and found it filled with smoke. She yelled to her sister, "Call 911 — the house is on fire!" They ran outside as the house quickly filled with smoke. "It went so fast. It only took about ten seconds."

Teri and her sister rent a room from Mark, the elderly gentleman who owns the house on Kenwood Drive. When asked if she knew how it happened, Teri replied, "I'm not sure what caused it, but it started in Mark's room. He's not even home right now. He's in the hospital, thank God. We would have had a hard time trying to carry him out."

Pausing to consider what could have been the outcome, she stated, "I guess God does work in mysterious ways." No one was hurt, but "everything's gone."

The Red Cross will help with temporary housing. No other structures were damaged.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader

Comments

Sign in to comment

Join our
newsletter list

Enter to win $25 at Broken Yolk Cafe

Each newsletter subscription
means another chance to win!

Close