Big is back! Everything from corporations to cars may be downsizing, but baubles and bags are getting bigger. Spring lines from Hermes, Louis Vuitton, and Christian Dior boast huge purses that hang as low as the knee. Take a look at how these San Diego women brandish their bodacious bags to make a stylish statement.

My Style

Jessica Coburn Hair designer at a Robert Cromeans Salon in P.B.

My inspiration Classic blonde bombshell with a rock-n-roll twist.

My favorite pieces I love belt buckles and shoes and chains.

My secret I like getting dressed to music. If I listen to punk rock, I walk out with a punk-rock flair. If I listen to classic rock, I might go for something like ripped jeans.

My advice If it doesn’t make someone do a double-take, it’s not worth wearing!

To see a graphic version of this column, view the digital edition of the Reader, found on our home page (purple button, right-hand side) after Friday.

Comments

SDaniels Feb. 3, 2010 @ 3:17 p.m.

If this is a planned piece, what the heck happened with the editing and page formatting--terrible?!

"My secret I like getting dressed to music."

Bolding does not help the fact that this is still a mangled sentence.

Colon, anyone? ;)

MsGrant Feb. 3, 2010 @ 3:30 p.m.

High-end fashion is stupid, and is designed for the gullible and those that can least afford it. Anyone that spends thousands on a ugly handbag every year should be shot on sight.

unoriginal Feb. 4, 2010 @ 1:45 a.m.

A huge hobo bag like that just makes it easier for a pickpocket to go through it without the woman noticing anything might be missing. So please be careful when you go out into crowds with one of those things on your arm.

SDaniels Feb. 4, 2010 @ 4:22 p.m.

A lot of those bags don't have outside pockets, and the top part is usually narrower, and tucked up under the arm anyway, so I guess we know unoriginal is not a pick-pocket ;)

I happen to like those bags, and appreciate a good non-leather one. You can throw a sweater in as well as a book, and the rest of your usual.

I disagree about high end fashion, since I consider it to be an art form--wearable art can be deliciously satisfying and intimate--for those who can afford it ;(

MsGrant Feb. 4, 2010 @ 5:53 p.m.

SD, I appreciate a well-turned-out appearance as well, but those bags scream Olsen twin. I have a large bag - orange corduroy with matching floppy hat. Elicits screams of ecstasy from the fashion-conscious. Gift from mom. Twenty bucks from a San Fran farmer's market. I now use it only for the OB farmer's, because carrying a bag like that for daily life seems rather vagabond. Regarding fashion as high art, only if you design it yourself.

CuddleFish Feb. 5, 2010 @ 9:08 a.m.

Agree with you MsG. Gawd, this is the Reader sees its future?