On December 14, Sydney Cicourel and members of animal activist group San Diego Stop Puppy Mills urged La Mesa city councilmembers to pass an ordinance prohibiting pet stores from buying dogs and cats from non-shelter sources, such as breeders and puppy mills.

Back in February 2009, Cicourel and her pack started spending their Saturdays holding picket signs outside Pet Works pet store in the Grossmont Center. In November, the group approached La Mesa city council asking them to adopt an ordinance similar to one implemented in West Hollywood.

During her presentation to councilmembers, Cicourel testified that "100 percent" of dogs for sale at Pet Works came from puppy mills in the Midwest, many of which have health and behavioral conditions. Pet Works has since gone out of business.

Joshua McIntosh, a Marine Corps veteran, said he purchased a Boston Terrier at Pet Works in August. The six-month-old pooch was later diagnosed with Hepatitis and pulmonary hypertension. "She's a six-month-old puppy. She should not be in this condition."

Once public comment had concluded, councilmembers expressed concern that the ordinance was intrusive and overreaching.

"Are we looking into rules and regulations about how chickens are handled? How cats are handled? We're stepping in," said councilmember Erwin Ewin. "What's going to be next?"

"This feels like a red herring, like a distraction. I think the city has a responsibility to stop animal cruelty," responded Cicourel.

"It breaks your heart," said vice mayor Ruth Sterling. "But, I'm not sure that this is the place to start," said Vice Mayor Ruth Sterling. "It's a quandary. The republican side of me doesn't like to say 'you can't sell this or you can't sell that.' I agree that something needs to be done."

Mayor Art Madrid then presented a motion to direct staff to look into the issue and find a way to prohibit local pet stores from selling dogs from puppy mills back to the city council. The motion passed five to zero.

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 17, 2010 @ 9:50 a.m.

There are SO MANY wonderful dogs and other pets at local naimal shelters, BEGGING for a nice warm bed to sleep in at night and to love their owners......why would ANYONE go to a pet shop when the shelters are in such need of responsible pet owners>>>>>>?

nan shartel Dec. 26, 2010 @ 2:30 p.m.

By SurfPuppy619 9:50 a.m., Dec 17, 2010 > Reply > Report it

Right On...

=^..^=

HELP Me

By Founder 12:30 p.m., Dec 17, 2010 > Reply > Report it

bless u2...love me some doggie and kitty loven peeps

pet store have nothing but quetionable animals for sell...go 2 the shelters for love people!!! ;-D

MsGrant Dec. 26, 2010 @ 4:15 p.m.

"The republican side of me doesn't like to say 'you can't sell this or you can't sell that'" - if it has a heartbeat, it should be a no-brainer. No matter what some (very unfortunate) people think - that animals have no feelings - EVERYTHING has the capacity to suffer.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 26, 2010 @ 4:58 p.m.

I'm trying to find a home for Evie-a stray that was picked up in the pouring rain on in LA on Christmas eve (hence her name), if she does not have an adopter by January 24 I am going to foster her and find someone myself.

I don't know if this first link will show Evie because it is from Facebook, so I posted Evie's video below it;

. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=254632&id=720259894 .

. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A8-Ha... .

Evelyn Dec. 27, 2010 @ 8:18 a.m.

if only i hadn't just moved out of my mama's home... i'd adopt her just for the name.

(i can't see the video or fbook w/ my internet connection, so that's what i have to go on)