Twenty people attended District 3 city councilmember Todd Gloria's latest community coffee klatch on August 14 at Grant's Marketplace in South Park. (Contrary to what the photo suggests, alcoholic beverages were not served.)

Gloria spent most of the time talking and fielding questions about what one might expect: the San Diego’s economic situation. Though he acknowledged that everyone is “feeling the pain” and more city budget cuts are needed, he said, “We're nowhere near bankruptcy.” As he explained to one frustrated constituent, declaring bankruptcy wouldn't help the city pension problem.

Gloria said he recently met with the mayor of Phoenix to share notes and discuss how to fund overdue infrastructure repairs. The councilmember said, “We don't have the luxury of Sacramento, in stealing from cities.” He said that state government has taken about $30 million from San Diego.

Gloria sees one solution as “more privatization of city services” while working to prevent private contractors from overcharging the City. But selling city assets, he says, is “not viable.”

While Gloria supports business development, he doesn't want the “big box stores. Walmart doesn't like me,” he said.

Comments

Founder Aug. 17, 2010 @ 2:56 p.m.

All talk of the City budget crunch avoids any reference to having The Redevelopment Agency using the money it "got" from the City for "overdue infrastructure repairs" until the City gets caught up with needed repairs...

Since Todd and the rest of the City Council ARE the Redevelopment Agency that not only should be on the table but it should be Item #1, something that if done would make the 1/2% tax increase a non issue...

The the Citizens' Revenue Review and Economic Competitiveness Commission has promoted only a Business friendly list of options and still has not posted on the Web all of the Public input that they have received for greater City Wide response; why not? At that meeting, the size of the Budget short fall demanded major changes to the big Union benefit packages and to date, we have not heard anything about solving that problem except to put the 1/2 % increase on the ballot; which as one councilmember pointed out at the meeting, will not help to solve San Diego's Budget problem and is now being looked upon as, a "gift" tax to the Police and Firefighters Unions!

Please call your City Councilmember and ask why they are holding out using on this option and then post their replies here:

Ponzi Oct. 23, 2011 @ 11:16 a.m.

Todd Gloria is an example of what is wrong with politics and politicians. The first problem is he is a lawyer. It’s about time America quits electing lawyers to office. Gloria says he does not like big box stores. Therefore, he is going to use government to block the free market. People want the stores… they just do not want them in their back yard (NIMBY). Interference in the free market by buffoons like Gloria is bad for the economy in the end.

Big box stores are efficient, profitable and here to stay. Blocking them will not produce or foster smaller businesses. Smaller businesses shop at the big box stores. The original Price Club was mainly focused on business and it still has millions of business customers. Wal-Mart offers prices that people want, and need, in these economic times.

Stay out of the free market, Gloria.

dwbat Oct. 23, 2011 @ 12:39 p.m.

Ponzi: According to Wikipedia, "Gloria graduated summa cum laude from the University of San Diego, with majors in history and political science." So why do you say he's a lawyer?

Twister Oct. 24, 2011 @ 1:05 p.m.

I was sitting at a cafe minding my own business when Gloria sat down at my table, grinning like the underground androids in "A Boy and His Dog," ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_an... )and "invited" me to join his "klatch." I listened to several self-serving if not inane questions that sounded almost like they were planted, and Gloria asked me if I had any. I asked him one and he evaded it, super-politely (that grin agin!) introduced me to one of his pilot fish (there were TWO!) who gave me his card as asked me to call or email him. I did both, and we exchanged emails and phone calls a few times, but I never did get anything but patronizing generalities. And lots of grins.

Ponzi Oct. 24, 2011 @ 4:26 p.m.

You must have a nice ass Twister.

(explains the grins)

Twister Oct. 24, 2011 @ 5:24 p.m.

The dfr is always grinning. Or is it grim assing? His nose does seem to be growing, and growing, and . . .

BlueSouthPark Oct. 24, 2011 @ 6:47 p.m.

Great story, Visduh. I've also been the recipient of Todd Gloria's patronizing smiles and nonresponses. He reminds me of one of those people who line up and rush through the doors of WalMart, trampling anyone who is weaker.

By the way, WalMart and their political lobbyists LOVE privatization freaks. Especially little fishies like Todd, who is equivalent to a minor hangnail to the WalMart Corp.

Twister Oct. 24, 2011 @ 9:30 p.m.

The Wal-Mart thing is pure window-dressing and vote-trading crocodile-smiles. Send them back to the swamp (trickling pond) from which they arose. Where is Pogo when we need him?

dwbat Oct. 24, 2011 @ 10:57 p.m.

While I occasionally shop at Target in Mission Valley, I wouldn't want a Target or Walmart in my hood (North Park) or downtown.