After the earthquake in Samoa on Tuesday, September 29, the Tsunami Warning Center in Palmer, Alaska, at 7:24 p.m., issued its sixth update for the California and Oregon coast.

The advisory specific for the Southern California area stated, “A tsunami has been generated which could impact the advisory region. Low-lying coastal areas should be alert to instructions from their local emergency officials. Evacuations are only ordered by emergency response agencies. Persons in tsunami advisory areas should move out of the water...off the beach and out of harbors and marinas.”

The advisory stated that the “six to eight inches” of tsunami waves should hit La Jolla at 9:16 p.m. At 9:00 p.m., I parked on the beach-view bluff on San Elijo Avenue, overlooking the reef at Cardiff beach. I placed myself well east of the tsunami evacuation zone signs permanently posted at the corner of Coast Highway 101 at Chesterfield Drive.

The floodlights from the Chart House restaurant lit up the shoreline. For 25 minutes, I watched the gently rolling one-to-two-foot waves with no notice of increased tidal or wave action. There was, however, very light traffic on the Coast Highway, unusual for that time of night.

At 9:25, I headed for the beach parking area south of the Chart House to watch the ocean with 15 other tsunami observers. They said nothing had changed in the past half hour.

At 9:37 p.m., a helicopter flew over the area, about 100 feet above the ocean, 100 yards out from the beach. The copter went north to Encinitas, turned around, and flew back south down the beach.

Comments

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 12:45 a.m.

Should I alert New York of a high wind advisory everytime I squeeze out a nasty beer fart?

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:02 a.m.

As someone who can proudly boast to drinking 7 beers without pi**ing once and can drink a case of beer in 24 hours,probably so would be an understatement. :-D

Maybe my theme song should be"Blowin' In The Wind"...

Russ Lewis Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:04 a.m.

Come to think of it, Pete, you could probably pick up some extra cash at the Kumeyaay wind farm out east. I'm sure you could turn some windmills for them.

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:15 a.m.

:-D LMAO!!!!!!! My favorite is walking around Wal-Mart or Target and lettin' 'em fly!! Nothing says hilarious like walking by someone and droppin' a stinkbomb. "Damn frogs." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jo0V8...

Russ Lewis Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:24 a.m.

Oh, was that you starring in the video?

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:34 a.m.

LOL! Wasn't me in the video. Wish I had his money though. I'd pay to see a guy blow out a candle with a fart. Some people like high brow art,I like low brow humor. It keeps me humble. ;-D

Russ Lewis Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:45 a.m.

There's a time for crude, lowbrow "guy" humor, and it seems to be about 1 in the morning.

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:50 a.m.

LOL! low brow humor is 24 hours for me. Even in my dreams I'm the joker. I've been told I have a Jokeresque smile... http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=51833889&albumID=3016978&imageID=39693582

Russ Lewis Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:58 a.m.

I wouldn't call that "Jokeresque." I'd say "retarded" is more the word.

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 2:03 a.m.

Awwww shucks russl. :-( You made me a sad panda.

Russ Lewis Oct. 1, 2009 @ 2:07 a.m.

I apologize, Pete. However, if I may say so, you've got to stop setting yourself up for us insult comics. Then again, maybe that's the idea.

"Maybe my theme song should be 'Blowin' In The Wind'..." Or possibly "Windy" by the Association. Or "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan.

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 2:09 a.m.

LMAO@ Hurricane. I totally forgot that one. Damn. I'm tired and it's showing.

antigeekess Oct. 1, 2009 @ 9:40 a.m.

russl rote:

"You know, there was a French entertainer in the 1800s who made his living by farting any tune the customers requested. The show stopper was when he'd blow out a candle from a foot away. But I'm sure he had nothing on Pistol Pete, except maybe a superior sense of melody."

PistolPete Oct. 1, 2009 @ 10:36 a.m.

Cool. My name means"to fart"in French. I'll use this knowledge to feed the hungry,clothe the naked, and bring world peace! Or maybe I'll just play a little tune.....