Burning of Rome used five impaled pig heads as props during their set at the 2009 San Diego Music Awards.

“It’s pretty creepy,” says a fellow performer and one of the night’s award-winners. “I don’t know if pig heads are SDMA-friendly. It’s not something I’d want to have my kids see.… But I guess some of the bands go to great lengths to publicize themselves.”

SDMA executive director Kevin Hellman says this about the animal carcasses that dripped blood while BoR played: “This was a band that was just doing what a lot of bands do: finding a way to get publicity. I’m sure bands have done crazier things. What did people say when Ozzy Osbourne bit the head off of a bat?”

“Pigs are smarter than dogs,” said another musician. “I find it deplorable to do anything to support the meat industry.” But worse than that, he thought that the band looked as if it was trying too hard to get attention. “This was so silly. [Pig heads onstage] has been done before.”

Travis Ryan is the lead singer with the vegetarian death-metal band Cattle Decapitation. Over its seven years as a touring band, Ryan says his band has been hit with “vegan pussies” heckles from the crowd.

“It’s kind of cheesy,” says Ryan, an attendee. “So many bands have done that. It didn’t seem to mesh with what they were doing onstage. After their set, they pulled the heads off of the mike stands and showed them to everybody in the crowd as if to say, ‘Hey, look at me.’ ”

Burning of Rome drummer Lee Williams says the porcine props were just part of their Lord of the Rings stage montage. “Pigs were in keeping with that. Some people were definitely grossed out by it, but I think most people understood it on a theatrical level.” He said his band will not do it again, but if they had the night to do over, they would have hoisted the hogs again. “I think people are more talking about the SDMAs as a bad thing in general. CityBeat puts it on, and they even have bad reviews in their own paper complaining that Slightly Stoopid, who won artist of the year, didn’t even have any new music that came out this year. It seems like a popularity contest rather than something that has anything to do with what’s going on with the music scene in San Diego.”

Was Burning of Rome trying too hard with its creepy carnage? “If anything, I think you can try too little. Ask [Ryan] if he remembered any of the other performances that night.”

Comments

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 29, 2009 @ 4:35 p.m.

Ken: Please (just for my own personal record) give me one example of a band taking to the stage with five pigs heads on stakes to a monologue from "The lord of the flies"...

Then, when you can't.... Give me just one example (I won't even make you back up your bulls*** statement that you've seen it ten times) of a band bringing (a) pig's head on stage for any reason... I know it's been done, I would just like to see you tell me when (shouldn't be hard for a rock journalist) and don't say Ozzy (that was a bird, he bit it's head off during a meeting with his record label executives... totally different story) I'll even accept stories with any type of animal head used... please, enlighten me.

and Ken, just because something has been done before doesn't mean it can't be done better.... take you for example, I'm sure you started "writing" way before Seth Combs, He just came after you and does it better. that's how life works.

(another) and Ken, You should correct the quotes you mangle and twist to an unrecognizable shape. Maybe a tape recorder during your "interviews" would stop the cycle of paraphrasing that turns into misquotes... You have misquoted (or paraphrased) me several times just in this one article. Makes me wonder if you quoted the gentleman from Cattle decapitation correctly... or the anonymous award winner and performer who's kids we scared.

You also left out that our guitarist is a vegetarian and was standing next to the hot dog booth with a pig head asking people to "look their food in the eyes"... that part you didn't think had any factual significance to the story?

We didn't receive any negative feedback at all... the only feedback we've received has been very positive and congratulatory. The people who didn't enjoy the show apparently all waited to share their stories with you. I'm not saying everyone enjoyed it, I am saying this atmosphere you are trying to depict of people being grossed out and unimpressed is false... how did you get the assignment to write about an award show you weren't at anyway? Is the reader hiring? I can write about places I don't go and things I haven't seen.

We weren't trolling for publicity.... if anything we were trolling for p*ssy! it's an award show and we're single men... and one single lady! We were making the best out of a four minute time slot and I doubt any of the musicians you spoke to could do any better (especially you.... can you imagine what you would do for four minutes, I mean plugging the royal dive could only possibly eat up two minutes, then what? do you juggle? do you have a hidden talent beyond spreading misinformation?)

I understand that you don't get it, I never expected you to understand words like "original" and "creative"... words like those aren't in your vocabulary or your consciousness.

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 28, 2009 @ 12:07 p.m.

Ha, ok. I'll play your game.

Seth, as I'm sure you know my "quote" was Ken paraphrasing what I was saying. The SDMA's are more affiliated with citybeat than the reader (thus the stacks of citybeat by the entrance) and the overall feeling at the award show was that a change is needed in the nomination and voting process... that's what people were talking about. That's all I was saying.

Ken, We will continue to do whatever comes to our minds... without a thought of what you or any other "journalist" or "critic" has to say about it. Everything original and creative has at one time been critiqued harshly by those who don't appreciate or understand it, if artists lived with those critical words in their minds nothing would ever be created out of pure inspiration.

And I hope you continue to feel free enough to keep quoting a mock rockumentary that (I think) was made for the sole purpose of helping lazy rock critics get $50 bucks for their blurt article... (You should watch "The pick of destiny", It's what the younger cats are comparing things to now... just lookin out)

Thank you for giving legitimacy to "eclectic art rock" I just pulled that out of my a** to counter "vegan death metal" (which I may have made up as well) I'm not one to label musical genres unless it's for a joke. I make music, I don't label it.

You would have to pay for pigs heads, that's you. We don't go out and look for ideas... our ideas come to us.

Peace, love and burrito fixings.

-Lee

Josh Board Sept. 29, 2009 @ 4:44 p.m.

Ozzy has bitten the head off more animals than just that record rep meeting. One time I know of, someone threw a bat on stage. He thought it was a rubber bat. Until after he bit the head off and realized it was real.

I believe there may have been one or two other animals.

I know that's all off-topic, but just thought I'd throw it in.

Joe Poutous Sept. 28, 2009 @ 1:49 p.m.

just found your band's myspace, Lee... I like you - you're crazy.

• Joe

Russ Lewis Sept. 30, 2009 @ 2:13 p.m.

Can someone please tell me where Hitler was mentioned?

Seth Sept. 29, 2009 @ 1:24 a.m.

I figured as much Lee. I wrote what I did above more as a clarification for anyone reading this. It wasn't so much directed towards you, but more the lazy author. And I would add that your guys' performance was one of the few highlights of the evening. I told Adam that the other night and it's a shame it was such a s***ty experience for you guys all around.

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 29, 2009 @ 4:54 p.m.

Thanks Josh... I've heard that story as well. Either way, I'm sure he was high.

I enjoy your writing, keep doing what you're doing.

We would be honored if you would crash one of our art shows. The next one is halloween. If you don't have plans and want to come to oceanside... let me know.

-Lee

Seth Sept. 27, 2009 @ 6:36 p.m.

Contrary to Lee's quote, CityBeat does not "put on" the San Diego Music Awards. You know that Ken and you should have clarified the quote, but you didn't because you like to stir the s***.

slammsd Sept. 27, 2009 @ 6:54 p.m.

While it is true that I am the Publisher at San Diego CityBeat, the SD Music Awards are a non-profit event that is produced by the San Diego Music Foundation. And yes, I am the current President of SDMF.

The purpose of the event - as you very well know Ken -- is to raise money to allow kids in SD County to be able to learn to play music in public schools. That's what our partnership with Taylor Guitars is all about. No one on our board could care less about who wins or loses any of the awards. We simply work to bring our music community together once a year, for one evening, and that the evening is a fund raising event for school children, who are the musicians of our future.

On top of everything Ken, since you are part of the SD Music Academy, and one of the people that annually votes on the SDMA album categories, you probably should disclose this fact to your readers. Full disclosure is important... perhaps you should try it sometime.

You might also correct those folks that you write about, when you obviously know that the story is different. Your readers deserve the truth, especially when you know exactly what it is.

Kevin Hellman President, San Diego Music Foundation

Seth Sept. 30, 2009 @ 4:16 p.m.

AWW, that's so weak. Why did you guys take SD F***O's post down?

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 23, 2009 @ 3:11 p.m.

Ken, it was "Lord of the flies". A rare misquote for you.

We haven't done a "Lord of the rings" set yet.... it would be a great way to use all those severed hobbits feet though.

I think this blurt article may start the vegan death metal vs. eclectic art rock war of 2009... next year if we play we're gonna have everyone in the crowd close their eyes and cover their ears, try to be more "Hey, don't look at me"... in hopes we don't offend or entertain in any way.

Also, it's not supporting the meat industry unless you pay for it... we gave the pigs the chance to die for the sake of art instead of for the purpose of burrito fixings.

I understand if people didn't get it or didn't appreciate the show we put on. Anytime you do something you run the risk of someone not understanding, misinterpreting or not liking what you do. We enjoy playing and performing, what people think about our performance doesn't effect our show... that would be trying to hard.

I look forward to your music gossip column every week... keep up the good work. People need to know when inane things happens to local musicians.

-Lee Williams.

kenl Sept. 23, 2009 @ 4:29 p.m.

Of course it was Lord of the Flies. We should have caught that. I stand corrected.

I think if you want to use a rock show cliche that has been used dozens of times, go with it! Sure there was a liittle blood, but at least you didn't fall back on elves dancing around mini Stonehenge formations.

I'm told you had to pay for your your pig heads. That they go for $20-$25 each, and that butcher shops don't give those things away any more than they give away cow intestines for menudo or pig intestines for those lard-fried tripitas.

Oh, and thanks for getting us up to speed. I didn't know pig-heads-on-poles equals "eclectic art rock." I got it now.

Josh Board Sept. 28, 2009 @ 8:24 p.m.

Also...it was kind of cool for Seth to write (I could be getting this wrong, but if memory serves)...that he was upset with some of the awards and how they were awarded.

kenl Sept. 29, 2009 @ 1:15 p.m.

Hey Seth -

As writers we are not to correct the quotes, we just supposed to write what was said. Kevin Hellman is publisher of CityBeat so he runs the CityBeat business. And Kevin Hellman also runs SDMA. I think that is what gave Lee and others the perception that the two are very tight. CityBeat sells a lot of ads connected with the SDMA's, and unless I am mistaken, CityBeat/Hellman also puts out the official directory for the SDMAs. Regarding CityBeat running the SDMA's, I think that was a general perception that is held by many.

Kevin: I was never aware that I was part of your academy. I send back to you a ballot with some artists listed in certain categories. What's this 'academy' kemosabe? Because I voted does not mean I have to "disclose" to anyone that I voted because it means I'm on your academy. You never asked me to attend any meetings where you select those who would be nominated. I voted on a multiple choice ballot just like everyone else.

And yes Seth, wasn't that you who originally wrote the points (also brought up by Lee) citing why this year's SDMA's sucked? Hmmmmmm....I think we are a little confused Seth.

Yes the Burning of Rome is a fine band. I'm not so sure what made the night such a s---y experience for them as Seth claims. They were trolling for publicity with the pig heads and they got it. If there was also negative fallout because the it was too crude or cheesy, they should not be surprised. The only line from Lee I don't get is: "Everything original and creative has at one time been critiqued harshly by those who don't appreciate or understand it." The only problem is the pig head gimmick has been done a few times before. Oh no Lee, I understand it. At least I understood it the first ten times.

David Dodd Sept. 29, 2009 @ 4:48 p.m.

You know, Lee, I have no idea who you are, maybe you're the greatest musician ever, no idea and I don't really care. But I have to ask this question, because, quite honestly, it really needs to be asked. Why in the hell would ANYONE use pig heads on stage while performing music?

Normal response: "Well, we're very socially involved with making people understand that eating animals is wrong, so we deicided to protest..."

WTF? Dude, your "job", the reason that people pay to see your gigs (I assume you don't do this thing for free), is to PLAY MUSIC! I mean, unless you join RATM, because that's about the only band that deserves to promote their social agenda, but holy crap, can't you simply settle for a nice gentle backdrop that gives people something to look at while you do your thing?

Seriously, PIG HEADS?

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 29, 2009 @ 4:36 p.m.

The sty time Seth is referring to actually came after the ceremony when we were detained by viejas police for allegedly stealing the awards show podium... they searched our bus five times and held us for questioning, it was actually quite funny... Not one bit sty.

To whom it may concern at the reader: Can I request Jay Allen Sanford write about us from now on, good or bad it doesn't matter... it would just be nice to be called cliche by someone who's opinion actually mattered and who isn't just pissed we won't play at his bar.

p.s. Ken, get back to me on those examples of bands using pigs heads.... I'm compiling a list of critics who have quoted "spinal tap" to describe a band as cliche, it's a very long list... a very long list indeed.

-Lee

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 29, 2009 @ 6:04 p.m.

Dear Refriedgringo,

First, I really like your name. Second, My name is Lee and I play drums for "The burning of rome" www.theburningofrome.com is our website, check it out. Third, I'm far from the greatest musician ever... I'm a student of music and I always will be.

I wish that playing music was my "job", It is more like a passion or my main reason for living rather than a means to make a living. Most of the shows we play we don't get paid for (like the SDMA's)... but, I think that focusing on the money we might make is missing the point and has nothing to do with the type of show we put on at all.

We like playing dramatic and theatrical music and we try to put on a dramatic and theatrical show to go along with that.

Your "normal response" is probably true for some of us but not all of us, in reality we (the burning of rome) had different reasons for the same idea... just like everyone in the audience that saw the pig's heads came to their own conclusions. It's just a matter of opinion... You can't see why we would have pig's heads on stage and another person may think it's the greatest thing ever. We can't please everyone... so, we just do what we do and if people like it, good. If they don't, oh well.

Their are a lot of different reasons why we brought five pigs heads to the SDMA's... maybe, one day if we become friends I will let you in on them. until then, the reasons remain ours.

You asked if we can't just settle for a nice gentle backdrop, No. No, we can't. That wouldn't be us.

I love Rage Against the Machine too. I think everyone has a right to promote their social agenda though, just like everyone has a right to disagree.

Hope I answered all of your questions. Hopefully you'll catch a show one day and judge for yourself... most of our shows have no pig's heads.

-Lee

David Dodd Sept. 29, 2009 @ 6:22 p.m.

Lee, thanks for the response. But we're talking pig's heads here! PIG'S HEADS?

I was a musician when I grew up in Los Angeles. I mean, I get the decor thing, but I always admired the acts that didn't need anything at all. One time (oh will this date me) the band I was in was slated to play someplace (escapes me at the moment where, many years and bottles have been drained since then) with Black Flag. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled and ultimately re-scheduled (without Black Flag), because the night before the show (technically, the early morning before the show), they (members of Black Flag, allegedly) broke into the place and painted all of the walls black.

That was my fist lesson in bad set decoration.

A better idea to promote vegetarian ideals might be to purchase a dozen heads of lettuce and a couple of packages of carrots and pass them out to paying customers! I mean, what band can lay claim to THAT? Just an idea, Lee. Good luck with your burning of Rome, and say "hey" to Nero for me.

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 29, 2009 @ 8 p.m.

Refriedgringo,

I get where you're coming from, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I know that pig's heads are a pretty brutal thing to wrap the mind around. We were making a statement, it was an abnormal set indeed. Our normal set is just us playing music. We don't need pig's heads, we had them to use and we felt the SDMA's was the perfect venue to use them. It wasn't a plan to promote vegetarian ideals as much as an idea that came together piece by piece... if someone were to give us lettuce and carrots, I'm sure we would find some use for them. If we did decide to use lettuce and carrots, I'm sure our critics would still say it was cliche. You just can't win with some people.

Alas, I am a peasant and Nero is the emperor... We aren't really on speaking terms but I will try to tell Nero you said hello. Take care man.

Seth Sept. 29, 2009 @ 8:16 p.m.

So let me get this straight Ken... If someone says something that's false, then it's not your job to report that it's false? (And you can spin it however you want, but the fact remains that SD CityBeat does NOT "put on" the SDMAs).

This is what you said: "As writers we are not to correct the quotes, we just supposed to write what was said."

Is that The Reader's editorial policy because that's the worst journalistic approach I've ever heard? If every "writer" had your approach we wouldn't know anything and just be taking everyone's word for it. What if Woodward and Bernstein had the same philosophy. "Oh, okay Mr. President, we'll just report exactly what you said and not bother to say that it's untrue." I know the analogy is a stretch, but I cannot believe that you said this (and with such lousy grammar as well).

I don't even need to say anything else. You've summed up your whole approach to this profession with that one line. Nice job.

kenl Sept. 29, 2009 @ 9:08 p.m.

Seth - You said this year's SDMA's sucked. Lee Williams said this year's SDMA's sucked (he was quoting you). I think this criticism about the SDMA's should be taken as constructive criticism and maybe the thing will get better next year. Please don't backtrack from what you said when others bring it up. So Seth, let me get this straight. Did Lee say something that was "false" ? I think he was was just repeating what you had already written about the SDMA's. Hmmmm...

Death metal band Mayhem from Norway has done the pig heads many times before. I will get you other names in a future blog.

The whole point is that Burning of Rome did a very coarse, crude and rude gimmick when they played the SDMA's that they do not normally do when they play. Although it has been done before, it was clearly done to get a rise/response. So they GET the response and then they complain. Come on guys! You want to get exposure and controversy, and then when you get it, you complain that you are getting mistreated!

Josh Board Sept. 29, 2009 @ 10:10 p.m.

They should've played War Pigs, or Pigs by Pink Floyd.

Lee, I'd love to hit one of your parties (and thanks for the kind words). Just give me the details when it's closer to the date).

I met Seth at a party once. The dude really knows his music. If memory serves, we talked about PIL, X, The Clash, and a few other alternative bands, for over an hour.

Ken, it does seem odd that SO MANY PEOPLE claim you misquote them. Now, I do understand there will be a few that weren't "misquoted," but didn't like the quote taken out of context. And taking a persons quote out of context, is almost just as bad as misquoting, because you're not getting the crux of what they are saying, but using it for the angle you wanted in the story.

One example I can give you of this, involves this local, old Irish singer (forget his name at the moment). He plays all the pubs in town. He said you called him wanting to do a two page story on him for the Reader. Naturally, he was thrilled to death. You asked him a few questions about some local musician he didn't care for. And he said a few negative things about the guy. Now...you DID NOT MISQUOTE him. But what you did was...you pulled those quotes out, as the story you were REALLY writing, was about that other musician, and just wanted some negative quotes from him about that musician. And, had you just called him up and said that...he may not have talked to you. Or, his quotes might not have been as negative.

Now, that being said...this guy told me this after many beers at midnight, at the Ould Sod. And I can't say that he wasn't lying to me. But it's one of many stories, I've heard time and time again, from local musicians, bouncers, bartenders, club owners, etc. And they can't all be wrong or just angry at something you wrote.

EvinCurtis Sept. 29, 2009 @ 10:41 p.m.

And this my friends is why no musicians, artist or even fans of music and art take Ken Leighton seriously. He is untrustworthy and disrespectful. Most musicians I know in town won't even speak to him because of his poor journalistic reputation.

Reader publisher and execs, please take note - get rid of Leighton and maybe people might start picking up the Reader for something other than looking for a new apartment.

Ken L will always be a joke.

PS. Some folk just won't get the pig heads. Personally, I hated AND loved them.

kenl Sept. 29, 2009 @ 11:26 p.m.

Josh -

That story on the Irish singer never ran. I did interview him, but it never ran. I interviewed him about his ribald and off-color songs he wrote and I read it to him so he could review it, but it never ran in the Reader. He didn't like the fact that I wrote about his naughty songs when I should have written about his status as an Irish folklore preservationist. You brought this up before about two or three years ago and I said the same thing in response. I called him up and asked him if he wanted to comment on it and he said he did not. Would you like his name?

Josh are you serious about misquoting people? How about Barbara who has spent years working the box office at 4th & B and Brick by Brick and Coors Amphitheater etc. She says you absolutely fabricated her quotes in a blurt you wrote that slurred her 4-5 years ago. And then there's Jeff Paskin who called me to complain about the dishonest way you wrote about his house party in La Jolla. Remember that one Josh?

Hmmm... Elvin Curtis......who might that be. Gee I don't think I have ever heard of Elvin Curtis! I'm sure it's a real person who is involved in local music. Who are you ElvinCurtis?

Because of the nature of the blurts I have written over ten years, some people get upset. When you hoist pig heads on poles at the SDMA and then take them down and shove them in people's faces, it makes an interesting blurt. Then again, if you're the band thrusting the heads, you may not want to read about it.

If you look above, the first response from Lee Williams was not that I misrepresented his quotes. (Except of course for the Lord of the Flies/Rings mistake which I corrected). Lee Williams said everything that was quoted.

Seth Sept. 30, 2009 @ 12:26 p.m.

Ken-This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I just love it when you dig yourself in even deeper.

Okay, so for the five or so people following this this is what Ken reports that I said: "You said this year's SDMA's sucked... Lee Williams said this year's SDMA's sucked (he was quoting you)... I think he was was just repeating what you had already written about the SDMA's. Hmmmm..."

But here is what I actually said: "Yeah, there were some nice highlights, but the fact remains that the SDMAs are still hugely flawed...Why do I care? Because musicians are beginning to think the whole thing’s a joke. And that makes me mad as hell." You can read the entire column here: http://www.sdcitybeat.com/cms/story/detail/reports_from_the_scene/8483/

This is not only the perfect example of your style of reporting, but also a great example of my original point. You report that I said the SDMAs "sucked" but I didn't. I said that they were "hugely flawed." Rather than reading my column and reporting what I actually said, you, instead, put words in my mouth and reported something that I did NOT say. I think this is exactly the type of thing that Josh and Lee are upset about. And, again, my original point remains: Rather than doing your research and reporting the truth (that CityBeat does not "put on" the SDMAs), you decided to stir the s*** instead.

I would imagine that for Josh it's the same thing I run into time and time again. You here it once, you dismiss it. You here it twice, you nod your head in agreement. You hear it thrice and then it's a trend. And although it might not be the case here, it has, however, been a constant in my musical journalist career: DON'T TALK TO KEN LEIGHTON. It rarely has much to do with "the nature" of your columns, but rather, that you misquote, misrepresent and often just make s up. I've heard it from bands. I've heard it from artists. I've heard it from family members. Hell. I've heard it from people you've never even interviewed. And while I don't even need to imagine that there's some bands out there that hate me for what I've written about their music, I guaran-fin-tee you that there won't be any that hate me for misquoting or misrepresenting them.

But you can consider the gloves of at this point. Troy Johnson may have laughed you off. Nathan Dinsdale may have not known what to do with you (aside from that time that he put you in your place at the NPMT panel). But I'm a different breed and I don't take s*** lying down.

conor_lastowka Sept. 30, 2009 @ 12:45 p.m.

Can somebody please compare someone else to Hitler? It really should have happened about ten comments ago.

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 30, 2009 @ 2:23 p.m.

Shove them in people's faces? That never happened... That is a lie. You are a douche. You weren't even there! Stop trying to start s*** you lying fabricating gossip whore.

I love criticism and bad reviews... I feed on it like a black hole feeds on matter. Take this one:

This guy was at the awards show and did not care for our set one bit... not because of the pig heads, he thought our music was contrived and he even says he felt "robbed". Cool, that is his opinion and he is entitled to it because he was there to see it and form that opinion himself!

Josh nailed you on the head, You twist words to fit your angle ... "what's the angle" is what you kept saying to us when you did a write up on my group "known by nothing" blurt feb 22nd 2007, Mike Miller wasn't even there at the interview and you attributed my quotes to him. You quoted Richard as saying "the rap scene has started to get like karaoke" when his statement wasn't about the "rap scene" as you put it, it was about himself and how HE felt like HE was doing karaoke when HE would bring just a cd to do a show. The words "rap scene" were put in by you making it seem like we are bagging on everyone who raps to a cd... which is almost everyone in the "rap scene". The whole time your focus was on the fact that they (mike and richard) are white guys rapping and you wanted some stories of their struggles as white rappers to fit the angle you were spinning.

Fast forward to now... You do a write up about a show you weren't at, you find two people who have a problem with our set and the pigs heads, you call me at work and start asking me to respond to claims we're "cheesy" and "trying too hard"... You want conflict. If the singer of cattle decapitation disliked our set why doesn't he blog about it himself? in his own words, then I can take it as his criticism and not as your gossip... I don't like the Ken Leighton filter that was used, it's like brewing coffee with a filter made of bulls***.

I'm not complaining we're being mistreated and I don't mind negative feedback (like I said before, I like it.). I'm pointing out that you paraphrase and twist words to build an angle. I'm happy that the publisher of citybeat and two writers I respect joined in with me to call you out for being a shady douche hack (my words, not theirs) You have a bad reputation. There is a reason for that. Peace.

-Lee

and the fact we did something similar to Mayhem just makes us more metal... We'll take that. Keep those examples coming Ken.

Josh Board Sept. 30, 2009 @ 4:37 p.m.

Ken, I don't know a Barbara at 4th & B. Any time I did a story on that venue, I quoted Ed Pate, the sound guy there for years and years. I even had the opportunity to do a negative story on that venue, when a former employee contacted me. It didn't seem like much of a story. I'd love to know what quote Barbara is ref. to, and I can comment more. I have a great memory.

Don't recall a Jeff house party in La Jolla, but will also comment on that if more info is brought to light to refresh my memory.

And Ken, as crazy as this sounds, I've actually defended you on numerous occasions. People ask me why the blurts are always nasty or mean spirited. I tell them that we don't write blurts about bands releasing a CD or EP. Every band does that, and there's not a story there. I agree, pig heads warrants the press.

On that note...to kill two birds with one stone...Not only did Hitler kill Jews, but he often killed pigs for his BBQs. He never did put their heads on sticks, but he loved shoving apples into their mouths while yelling "How do you like that?"

And, the Lord of the Flies/Rings, to me...isn't even that big of a deal. It's a simple mistake anyone could make (I just did something similar with a band called Spaceman Spill, which I got wrong).

I think 90% of the time, you probably quote people accurately. But that 10% makes it hard for other writers to do their jobs! I've had many blurts slip thru my fingers, because the band doesn't want to give me the info on that juicy fight that involved their bassist and drummer. It doesn't mean I come up with a quote from someone that's an "unnamed source" or whatever.

I've had other bands tell me stories that I thought weren't interesting enough for a blurt (one recently of a band playing at Hot Topic)...and Jay turned around and made a decent story/blurt out of it.

My first month in radio, I saw a memo saying "Don't talk to Ken Leighton. He misquotes and takes things out of context."

And, I do believe a lot of bands are just angry that the pieces aren't all positive on them. But still, Ken. Sometimes you have to shoot straight with these people, or it hurts your reputation.

Seth Sept. 30, 2009 @ 6:42 p.m.

Wow, they put F***o's post back up. Maybe they changed their tune because they thought their needed to be more hate directed towards me so Ken looks better.

LEEWILLIAMS Sept. 30, 2009 @ 4:23 p.m.

SD F***O,

Thank you, your hate sustains me. Maybe, one day you and I can get together in the basement of your parents house where you live and write your blog so you can show me some things to practice... what instrument do you play?

I am an ahole and a highly misunderstood artist. Come out to a show, I would love to hear you bash a whole set of ours. Your views are fascinating and I wish you were published so I could hold your poetry in my hands. We are garbage... that's somehow worse than trash I think. Keep up the hate friend the world needs more aholes, like me... and you.

Seth Sept. 30, 2009 @ 4:12 p.m.

HA! Man, I love his guy. In my defense, I was edgy before he learned to spell (or didn't) and not hiding behind an anonymous blog while doing it, but I still love his stuff. I don't know why I keep telling people that he's great because he s***s on me all the time. Maybe it's because I was doing the same thing he's doing, but five years ago:

sdf**ko.blogspot.com

Since this a PG site you have to fill in the asterisks.

Hilarious Sept. 30, 2009 @ 10:32 p.m.

Humored by all of this in a big way.

Leighton has zero credibility and I would imagine that most people pass right over anything he writes knowing that it is just gossip girl garbage.

Ken, we all know that what you "write" does not equal "right". Do yourself a favor and take a new angle on life, the bitter old man stirring up crap bit is tired.

adamthegimbel Sept. 30, 2009 @ 10:49 p.m.

You guys are all so mean. Ben is just doing his job and he does it better than ANY of you....put together! Did you ever see the article he did questioning the punkrock credentials of a local music writer who dared to give a Green Day album a bad review? A WHOLE ARTICLE! NONE of you hacks could ever do something that amazing.

Ben makes this boring town's music scene sparkle with friction. All you guys do is talk about stupid bands at the Casbah that no one cares about.

LEAVE BEN ALONE!!!!!

David Dodd Sept. 30, 2009 @ 11:13 p.m.

Gentle Ben? Big Ben? Ben Stein? I see a Lee, a Seth, a Josh, a Ken, a Russ, I mean, seriously, I see no Bens in here! Holy crap, am I senile now?

Hilarious Sept. 30, 2009 @ 11:21 p.m.

I second adamthegimbal, Ben is the best. Ben is not a part of this so leave him alone.

SDaniels Sept. 30, 2009 @ 11:30 p.m.

I once dated a composer named Ben, who liked to talk about music. Perhaps it is this Ben we should 'leave alone?' Otherwise, I'm outta ideas... We should also leave this kid alone--he sounds like his head is about to spin 360, and spit food :)

David Dodd Sept. 30, 2009 @ 11:40 p.m.

Oh, THAT Ben! Okay. I'm all about leaving Ben alone, then.

Josh Board Oct. 1, 2009 @ 1:22 a.m.

Back to Ken...

In a way I feel bad, because in the Blurt section, they like us to give them stories with a little bit of blood and guts (and pig heads definitely have that). So when Ken (who has by far, provided the most Blurt stories of any writer at the Reader) does this, everyone gets mad at the nature of them.

I don't think Ken should have no credibility in his stories. That seems highly unfair. I just think any time a person complains, the smart money would be on that person being right in their complaint. You gotta give the complainer the benefit of the doubt, even if your instinct is to think they're complaining about the negative press their band got.

If you look at the numbers, most times people aren't complaining about his stories. It's the few times people do. But it's those times people remember, and harp on.

LEEWILLIAMS Oct. 1, 2009 @ 11:08 a.m.

Why aren't all the comments displayed? that's odd....

whyigotahaveid Oct. 1, 2009 @ 6:58 p.m.

how come WE cant comment on the DOWNLOAD of the week ? is JUST CHILL number 1 because nobody else downloaded besides himself ? i thought it wasnt good at all. he sounds just like Qtip and uses the same vibe. and im tired of seeing his face when i view my reader online.