“I don’t feel I should have been nominated for the award,” says Jimmy Powers of his Best Hip-Hop nomination by tonight’s San Diego Music Awards at Viejas. “I’ve only released a limited-press EP.… I think local artists like Blame One, who hit the top 40 on iTunes this year, should be the ones getting a nomination.”

Hip-hop compilation Young Mass Presents: The Best of Daygo City is nominated for Best Hip-Hop Album even though a distribution and promotion deal with Jake Records wasn’t in place until after the 2009 nominations were announced.

Blame One says, “I got nominated twice [in the past]. Second time, I didn’t even bother to show up.… Those cats don’t intend on helping out because they have no desire to understand hip-hop culture.”

Another past nominee, Miki Vale, says, “I never went to the award ceremony.… Just do what you do and let the music be your trophy.”

Meanwhile, the SDMA hip-hop nominees for 2009 are being ridiculed in posts on websites such as Yelp.com and accesshiphop.com. “MC Flow nominated again,” complains Jen of the rapper’s award nod. “Geez. When will people learn? She’s terrible. Lame act. Lame weird-ass dancer dressed in American Apparel crap.”

Adamnt: “From the outsiders, it looks like…the groups that have the media backing win the awards, thus validating all the articles written about them.”

Alowishious1: “How come Mitchy Slick wasn’t nominated? That right there is proof that it’s all bullshit.… I’m sick and tired of these same lame ass niggas gettin’ nominated each year. Getting a SD Music Award is like makin’ a shot after the buzzer. It don’t count, bitch.”

MarkMyWords: “If the DMV was run by the SDMAs, 12-year-olds without arms and legs would have drivers licenses sent to their house.”

The bands scheduled to appear at SDMA 2009 include Burning of Rome, Scarlet Symphony, Get Back Loretta, the Silent Comedy, Steph Johnson, the San Diego Blues All Stars, and this year’s Lifetime Award honorees the Zeros.

— Jay Allen Sanford

Comments

jimmypowers Sept. 9, 2009 @ 2:55 p.m.

Thanks for becoming a champion and a virtual megaphone for the San Diego Hip Hop community Jay. Without people like yourself whom actually listen and show some interest into the culture itself which is very diverse, it is largely overlooked and ignored. Hip Hop is often falsely lumped together into this spider web of negativety and misconceptions. It's time to recognize the hard work and dedication that myself and many others strive for on a daily basis just for joy of creating the music we are passionate about.

Respect to everyone whom has ever went out on a limb to create something and put it on display for others to embrass or criticize.

SAN DIEGO DOES HAVE A HIP HOP SCENE, THE RADIO STATIONS DO NOT GIVE US SUPPORT AND THE POWERS THAT BE JUST CHOOSE NOT TO REASEARCH OR THOUROUGHLY ACKNOWLEDGE IT AS A VIABLE SOURCE OF ART AND EXPRESSION.

Respect Jimmy Powers

www.myspace.com/jpowers

SDaniels Sept. 9, 2009 @ 3:24 p.m.

Hey jimmy, I think many potential listeners just don't know to look, or where to find you. I'll check out your page, and pass along the link if I like what I hear :)

SubBass49 Sept. 9, 2009 @ 5:27 p.m.

Ummm...hate much? Sorry if cats don't get their names out or know how to market their stuff so that people actually know who you are...that's no one's fault but your own though. SDMAs aren't about who has the best music, or even who is most talented...it's a POPULARITY CONTEST. BECOME POPULAR and you'll win. Keep on hating on other people because they're marketed, and you'll stay where you are.

Here's a novel idea though...come up with your own SD Hip-Hop Awards. It's not hard to get donations and sponsors. You just have to actually WORK at it.

Ever wonder why the most talented emcees never win Grammy Awards? It's the same story. It's nothing new or shocking. Most people that aren't immersed completely into the local hip-hop culture couldn't tell you who Mitchy Slick or BLAME ONE even are. Not hating on their music, but there's probably a reason they don't win.

David Dodd Sept. 9, 2009 @ 5:41 p.m.

"I’m sick and tired of these same lame ass niggas gettin’ nominated each year."

This pretty much sums up why I will never, ever, in a million years get into hip-hop. Uneducated, ignorant, racist remarks from rappers piss me off. Credibility comes with educated and informed views. Rage Against The Machine is a good example where, for the most part, the message was good enough to launch a following. Statements like this one detract from the art.

Note to author: lame ass should be hyphenated as lame-ass.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 9, 2009 @ 6:14 p.m.

I used to HATE all rap music......but like all music, there is talent in some of it-and I do like some hip hop songs.

I used to hate classical music, but as I played an instrument in Jr Hi and HS it grew on me and I developed a rerspect for it. Hip hop too.

ADAMNT Sept. 9, 2009 @ 7 p.m.

"Ummm...hate much? Sorry if cats don't get their names out or know how to market their stuff so that people actually know who you are...that's no one's fault but your own though." By SubBass49 5:27 p.m., Sep 9, 2009

The problem with that statement is you assume that its all the artist fault. Trust me the names get out there, cd's get sent to publications and venues. Posters, fliers and stickers are all over the place. The problem is the lack of coverage and lack of outlets. There are a small handfull of music shops most of them cater to rock/punk groups. Most of the journalists who work for the music publications are either in bands or only really listen to indie rock. So they arnt going to shows covering the scene. You wont really hear any local hip hop on the radio, its basically self contained with a few venues that you can perform at; no real media coverage and 1 real hip hop record store.

On a personal note I will admit I was hating on some of the nominations for the SDMA's like 5 years ago but I got over it quick. Anyone who makes hip hop music from SD learns pretty quickly how things are, kinda hard to hate when its what you expected.

Peace ADAMNT www.myspace.com/thesupaunknown www.myspace.com/westernindependent

The7thBlock Sept. 9, 2009 @ 7:42 p.m.

Ech-u-sketch from the [I.C.O.N.S ].....I am a Recipient that has received Many of these awards. We Have true respect to all the groups selected it's not the we don't have a seen or that we lack the necessary tool's The real problem is the way music is viewed today and how accessible to kids. This is a complicated field with many opinions and variations.Thew the course of my Never ending story led me to believe that there is no gold at end of the rainbow and "santa claus" is just a lie to tell my kid to explain "X-mass" A lot of these artist work wit style, Delivery, Concepts, A general message.To all the readers contained please remember where we are at "Not L.A not S.F not N.Y or even Down South witch is ruling general music now...... The problem come's into play when you Have an identity that's not recognized by your city or state. The Radio Flat out Doesn't respond without being bought.Commercial Sponsor's will not support you or your event because of The content.Half of the shows are put on by the Artist Them selves. How Do you Get Support Without asking? "Exactly" Back to the "Panelist" for this award witch have no history in doing ,Writing ,Recording, going to shows as a "Fan", and sometimes being interested in the love of music. We need more personalities like "Tim Pals" From the old local show. also there is no form in which hip- hop personalities cant communicate via (b-boy summit or public radio). so i think we should choose panelist from various forms of hip-hop. The top DJ's and (that are not radio personalities),Producers,Breakers and dancers,Hip-Hop Shops {The Armory}and few legends in hip-hop that have albums and put them to good use and of course the general public opinion.REMIND YOU THAT A LOT OF THESE ARTIST ARE PAYING OUT OF THERE OWN POCKETS TO SUPPORT THERE DREAMS.... at least give them the common courtesy to be judged fairly by a committee of there own peers. Extreme Props to "Mitchy Slick" and all those selected this year.Please Keep in mind They really work hard. Just cause you dress a certain style that's commercials excepted on TV doesn't give you a title or status. It comes from the journey and the destination. To the promoters and owners of major venues please consider giving The good one's a chance (house of blues or The Coors Amphitheatre) Some of The underground D.J's your C.D game suck's .If i want to hear The Crappy Radio mixes i will turn it on.I Bet everyone is Tired of Dressing up to go to ON BROADWAY and MARTINI RANCH only to mingle because we know there will be no hip-hop or R and B shows going on there.Love the music, be the music,live the music or we will be destined to be Played out like classical and Rock to The popular radio Ratings game.I mean "Clear Channel"

Everyone in hip-hop needs somebody's support -Ech

The7thBlock Sept. 9, 2009 @ 8:11 p.m.

You get the just even though the comments are jumbled

if your good your good ....if you suck "gess what?"

don't blame others for you misfortunes -ech

Beast Sept. 9, 2009 @ 11:29 p.m.

wow, you sound like my dad, no matter what an authority figure ever said, I was wrong and the authority was right, same with police and the government, their never wrong either, right SubBass49? Its always the hip-hoppers fault, stupid hip-hoppers, we were probly too stoned to go and promote ourselves, maybe we were too busy stealing cars and raping women. That must have been it.

Ill try to not spend all my promotion money on gats and hookers next time I release an album.

jimmypowers Sept. 10, 2009 @ 9:13 a.m.

People in general just can't communicate with each other when they have nothing in common, that's a fact. Some people would say that it's complaining, some people will say that it's speaking up..regardless, it's no fineprint that local Hip Hop has no support from either "rhythmic genre" radio stations ie, 98.9 or Z90, which would introduce the music to you SubBass. Cities with syndicated radio support are always the cities with the most visible Hip Hop Scene.

I think everyone will agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with my marketing skills, it's the sole reason I was nominated, because "I DO NOT HAVE A SOLO ALBUM RELEASED".

Now tell me why I recieved the nomination, yet my friend and mentor BLAME ONE,whom you have never heard of, charted on college radio at #2, was a featured artist on Myspace Music, was pick by the Editor of XXL magazine as "Chairman's Choice" for album on the month. Has been making music for 2 decades, 4 critically acclaimed solo albums, all while raising 2 children, working full time and keeping his message truthful and positive.

Not all Hip Hop is Blunts, 40oz, & Bitches.

House of Rep, myself & Armory Massive- All have succesfully organized, promoted and managed numerous showcases, national headlined and weekly events with "NO INCIDENTS".

We just would like for the people to take a viable look at us, cause it is virtually impossible for us to put out our music to the 1.2 Million people without local radio support, bring back an actual Hip Hop Hour, music that is passionately driven by art rather than profit. Finest City Broadcasting has no interest in supporting local music.

Dove09 Sept. 10, 2009 @ 12:19 p.m.

Where I have seen this article printed before?

Oh yeah, last year in The Reader...and the year before...and the year before...

C'mon Jay, give us something new for once! This is old news -- more whining, more negativity -- BOR-ING!

40ozChris Sept. 10, 2009 @ 2:38 p.m.

Did you know... Mitchy Slick's - "Urban Survival Syndrome" lost to The Knee Highs - "Rise & Shine" in 07 (No offence to The Knee Highs, but Urban Survival Syndrome is an SD classic), and Jayo Felony has NOT won an SDMA - Bad Bizness. Jayo Felony DID perform at last years awards, and even kicked it with Jerry Heller and the nominees at the afterparty!!! - Deep Rooted won best rap album in 05, and 06 - Good Bizness!!!

Speaking of promotion...

Peep above mentioned "YOUNG MASS PRESENTS... THE BEST OF DAYGO CITY" at www.myspace.com/massterpiece or www.youngmass.com! The compilation got a heater by Jimmy Powers, and Blame One is featured (along with Deep Rooted's Mr. Brady) on a joint by Verbz. Album is 20 tracks deep by acts from ALL accross the county. From PB's ultimate party group O.C.T./Outta Control to Soultheast SD with Kitty, I-Rocc, & Harmoney! We introduce sexy, lyrical fire with newcomer Shavone C. too.... dookie gonna hit the fan when this joint hits full stride!!!!!!!!!

jimmypowers Sept. 10, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

Where I have seen this article printed before?

Oh yeah, last year in The Reader...and the year before...and the year before...

By Dove09 12:19 p.m., Sep 10, 2009 > Report it

there is huge difference between WHINING and PRESSING AN ISSUE. There is an obvious issue in the SDMA selection process and the overall support that is extended to local Hip Hop.

if your personal preference of anything was treated as a lesser entity and you wanted to the change that perception for the greater good of your entire community of peers, would you consider yourself to be WHINING.

mutual respect and recognition is all that is being whined about here.

MikiVale Sept. 10, 2009 @ 8:27 p.m.

"Most people that aren't immersed completely into the local hip-hop culture couldn't tell you who Mitchy Slick or BLAME ONE even are. Not hating on their music, but there's probably a reason they don't win."

Exactly. It's baffling to someone who is actually immersed in Hip Hop culture that someone involved in San Diego's music scene hasn't heard of Mitchy Slick or Blame One. And I believe that THAT, friends, is why people who ARE immersed in the Hip Hop culture are upset at the representation of the Hip Hop culture, or lack thereof, at the SDMAs. To us, Mitchy Slick and Blame One ARE popular. Not only that, they are respected for their art.
I think the real issue is, SubBass49, the awards are a popularity contest amongst who? Should I, a person who admittedly knows absolutely nothing about Rock music, be in charge of selecting nominees for a Rock music award? What sense does that make?

"Uneducated, ignorant, racist remarks from rappers piss me off." - Yeah, me too. Luckily, in this posting alone there are other "informed and educated" views to focus on just as there are in Hip Hop music and culture. Maybe try focusing on the positive, refriedgringo.

jimmypowers Sept. 11, 2009 @ 8:31 a.m.

Great Point Miki,

you wouldn't hire an electrician to install your wood flooring.

properly educated representation in the selection process would satisfy alot of people in the hip hop community.

chokies7 Oct. 17, 2009 @ 10:39 a.m.

I agree with Jimmy. The hiphop scene is unknown because radio doesn't help. If we were in LA,it would be a different story. There are a lot of good artist's here and nobody knows about them.

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 17, 2009 @ 12:14 p.m.

Not all Hip Hop is Blunts, 40oz, & Bitches

LOL!!!

I used to hate hip hop, but some artists have some good rap.

I guess it just goes to show you that all types of music have their own value-and if you listen to it enough you will see the value in the music and appreciate it.

Same with classical music.