Erratum

In last week’s “Off the Cuff” column, the wrong photo was used for the Barry Ladd interview.

Hey, Man, Back Up

Regarding Rachael Gordon’s little interview (“I’m a ’70s Girl,” August 27) in respects to her backing band, well, she doesn’t have one! Also, I am not and have never been, or will ever be, part of her musical endeavors. I did help her record her only album to date, which was 50 million years ago and took a lot of patience on my part. Ms. Gordon has not been part of the San Diego music scene in decades, so why the interview now? The Reader should focus on true current talent like Diana Death, Regina Leonard, Maren Parusel, Los Sweepers, Dave Humphries, and a host of others.

Hector Peñalosa
via email

Jay Allen Sanford responds: Gordon was “backed by” Peñalosa, as the article accurately states, and he confirms re-recording her — the phrase “backing band” is never used. In addition, Peñalosa and his brother are both credited as playing with Gordon in recordings by a short-lived band called the Very Idea (Gordon, the Peñalosa Brothers, A.J. Croce, Bart Mendoza, Mike Kamoo, Billy Lovcki), and Peñalosa is credited as the bass player on Gordon’s single “Rock and Roll Girl.”

Peñalosa’s list of notable locals is solid, though one is his girlfriend (Diana Death), another is an ex-girlfriend (Maren Parusel) who once fronted a tribute band (Wild Weekend) to Peñalosa’s old punk group the Zeros, and Peñalosa is currently recording with both Regina Leonard and Dave Humphries, making his citation of their inkworthy merits seem less about admiration and more akin to shameless (and undisclosed) promotion.

Gordon’s most recent album (not her first, nor her only) was in 2006, somewhat less than “50 million years ago,” but Peñalosa’s faulty grasp of numbers was already evident in a “Blurt” report (“Zero Plus 37 Equals 45,” April 13, 2006) that revealed he was at least eight years older than the date on his MySpace profile, which would have made him around eight when the Zeros made their first record.

Xtreme Tiddly

I thought that I was the only one that ever wrote anything about tiddlywinks (“Sporting Box,” August 27). Actually, I turned it into an extreme sport. You can read “The Tiddlywinks Blues” at bergenbugle.com/page2.html#ShortStories.

Ed Coonce
via email

Clarified Bitter

You have a “Stringer” story called “Pedicab Crackdown” (August 27). I’m a pedicab operator and have been doing this for over four years. I have never had an accident, but I can’t say the same thing about getting ticketed by the police. The only difference is that I must pay because I live here or go to jail. The foreigners don’t, so they can do anything illegal and not have to suffer the consequences.

As far as overcharging, there is a different mind-set between Americans and most foreigners. We want to get the people in the bike, charge them a fair price, give them a good time, in hopes that they will call back. The mind-set many foreigners have is this: Get the people in the bike, overcharge them, because we will never see them again. I hope this clarifies the information for your readers.

P.S. A lot of foreigners wait until the police leave the scene, then throw the citations away. I have witnessed this, so I’m all for the new regulations!

Brian E. Johnson
via email

An Error On The Throw

Re “Get the Union-Tribune — For Almost Nothing” (“City Lights,” August 20). I might have gotten a deal for six months ($36.36), but is my frustration worth it? After several complaints, my carrier still can’t seem to get the paper in my driveway. Instead, it is thrown in the driveway of a vacant unit. Perhaps that’s why it has been MIA on occasion. If I wasn’t paying this special price, believe me, I would have canceled it by now, which I will as soon as my six months are up! So deal or no deal, you tell me?

Emily Beitler
via email

Good Stuff

I just wanted to call and give you guys an attaboy for your story “Hope for the Hopelessly Drunk” (Cover Story, August 13). I myself have been clean and sober for 22 years, but this program wasn’t out there when I was. Just wanted to thank Mr. Joe Deegan for his coverage and the Reader for presenting this kind of newspaper writing. We could stand a whole hell of a lot more of this kind of good stuff. Thanks a lot, guys. I appreciate it, and I know other people did too.

James Kaminscky
via voice mail

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 3, 2009 @ 10:45 a.m.

LOL...Hector Peñalosa, you were just busted buddy!

PS, can the Reader post more pics of Gordon, she makes Surfpuppy's tail waggle.

DianaDeath Sept. 3, 2009 @ 5:20 p.m.

Normally I would not respond to a rag like this, but have been compelled to say something due to my name having appeared in the same paragraph as the phrase "shameless promotion" in Jay Allen Sanford's response to Hector's letter above. Since you opened that particular Pandora's Box, Jay, I will "go there" and expose the (undisclosed) shameless self-promotion being advertised in this magazine regarding the release of a "tribute" album to The Shambles, an old '60s-styled, tepid jangle pop group headed by Reader columnist Bart Mendoza. The "Blurt" column from 08/19/09 declaring the release of "Forty-One Sixty: A Tribute to The Shambles" failed to include the information that this CD is being released on Bart's very own label (Blindspot), and after having had a few conversations with several of the artists appearing on it, I was given the impression that this tribute is of Bart's very own making, not inspired by any actual admiration from the artists themselves. Many if not most of these recordings date back several years and are suddenly resurfacing for this "tribute" without prior knowledge from any of its unwitting contributors. So in effect, he's producing and releasing a "tribute" to himself. This is akin to fellating oneself in public. I also think it's very cute how the two of you manage to stroke each other and get each other's name printed in here every week; I smell a bromance. Don't #$%& with me or the person I love; I am a hot-blooded Mexican-American who doesn't tolerate any of that and will &*$% with you in equal measure.

Up yours truly, Diana Death

David Dodd Sept. 3, 2009 @ 5:41 p.m.

"This is akin to fellating oneself in public."

While I applaud your indignant and bitter rant over, well, whatever only you and the author and the people mentioned in the column do (I assume that you're famous or something and it's only me that doesn't know this), simply because I'm a fan of all who are indignant and bitter (it entertains me), it's sort of sad that I would have to attempt to explain the comment above to my sixteen year old (I assume this has to apply to her as well) "hot-blooded Mexican-American" daughter (she's Mexican-American, therefore, hot-blooded? Meh.).

Apparently, the only "rag" is the one you seem to be riding at the moment. Grow up. Please. Disagree like an adult. I don’t want to have to explain your potty-mouth to my kid just because you feel slighted.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 3, 2009 @ 6:27 p.m.

By refriedgringo

Gringo, if we have to "grow up" and act like adults then this place would be no fun!

antigeekess Sept. 3, 2009 @ 11:20 p.m.

Re:

"...fellating oneself in public."

I would like to applaud the flexibility of the individual involved.

If he ever tires of the music scene, I hear Cirque du Soleil is always looking for new acts.

joeblotto666 Sept. 4, 2009 @ 3:26 a.m.

Why all the fuss over a little article on Rachael Gordon’s album? Is there a time limit on music? So what if people promote themselves shamelessly. To think that they won't is silly. I admit that I am a Rachael Gordon fan. Does that negate my opinion? Sincerely joe

Josh Board Sept. 4, 2009 @ 10:29 a.m.

DianaDeath makes some very good points.

Joe Poutous Sept. 4, 2009 @ 11:07 a.m.

"I would like to applaud the flexibility of the individual involved."

that is funny! - Joe

Jay Allen Sanford Sept. 4, 2009 @ 2:58 p.m.

The Record Release Roundup referenced by Diana Death previewed a dozen upcoming local albums - no label was listed for ANY of them. The label-free Roundup format is due to space limitation, not omission, let alone "shameful" omission.

I'm mystified as to why she refers to content in a Blurt by ME (JAS) as "self-promotion" - is she under the impression that Bart Mendoza and I are the same person? Almost her entire comment concerns her ire over HIM - I can assure all Reader readers that I am not, nor have I ever been, Bart Mendoza.

Tho I'd be hard pressed to come up with a photo showing the two of us in the same place, at the same time...................

Josh Board Sept. 4, 2009 @ 3:18 p.m.

I can vouch, that these two are not the same person. Bart looks like a 5th Beatle, with Buddy Holly/Costello glasses. Jay looks like Steve Perry's (Journey) evil brother.

What I meant by DD having a good point is...we sometimes seem to write about the same musicians (Gregory Page, Bart Mendoza, Steve Poltz)...all three extremely talented and deserving of the press, but...

antigeekess Sept. 4, 2009 @ 5:34 p.m.

TikiJoe remarked:

"Really? You happen upon a guy just going at it on the corner of 5th and Market (or anywhere "public") any your first thought would be to clap?"

No, my 'first' thought would be, "If I could do that, I'd never leave the house."

Then, I'd clap.

Bart Mendoza Sept. 4, 2009 @ 6:27 p.m.

I’m not sure how I got dragged into this, but Jay is indeed Jay and I am not :-) The fact that “Forty One Sixty,” is partially on my label is no secret, nor is it a secret that it took a long time to gather everything together. Actually, it’s a joint release with JAM Records out of Michigan, as stated on the label and in all pr. I at no point have called it a tribute album, not on the disc, not in the pr. Indeed, it’s a covers album. All of the tracks are at least a couple of years old, but that’s kind of the point, gathering up released covers and rounding out the disc with newer tracks recorded specifically for the project. I didn’t solicit all the material for the comp, nor was it my idea, it was my publishers. Some tracks were recorded without my knowledge, though I certainly see nothing wrong in asking a few friends if they’d care to contribute. I’m not sure who you’ve spoken with, but all the track owners or their representative, okayed the release of the tracks. In fact, part of the most recent delay was due to getting an overseas clearance. Even without that knowledge, you can assume if an artist recorded a track specifically for the comp, they knew it was going to be on the album. Now, the story of how this CD came to be a Blindspot / JAM release after years of pre-production, is a novel unto itself for another time.

As for the Blurt item, I’m not sure what the big deal is. I had no idea it would be featured, but besides that I don’t see how mentioning that an album is being released, in a list that’s meant to do just that, is a problem. The album is included four paragraphs down, with a bunch of other titles, a couple of sentences. Did you actually read the article or is it because the disc was pictured? I might be wrong, but I think Jay pretty much included everything whose release fit that particular time frame.

Hopefully all this will generate more publicity for the album, however, in the future Diana, please keep me out of your battles- Cheers- Bart

theportraits June 15, 2010 @ 10:20 p.m.

Maren Parusel is going to take over the world. I love her and we need more articles about her on the reader.

http://www.marenparusel.com http://www.myspace.com/marenparusel http://www.facebook.com/marenparusel