A line has been cast to get more Mexicans hooked on sardines. Strategies are being devised by the Cámara Nacional de la Industria Pesquera y Aquicole (National Chamber of Fisheries and Aquaculture) to beguile Mexicans into devouring more of the nutritious sea-minnows — and by the ton, since the 80,000 tons caught in the waters off Ensenada are exported annually to markets outside the country, principally to the USA, Japan, and Thailand.

Martin Gutiérrez Garcia, president of the chamber, wants Mexicans to take advantage of the food resource and will use a countrywide promotional campaign emphasizing their nutritional value, their high protein content, and their relative inexpensiveness. Mexicans, he said, avoid eating sardines because they think “they smell bad and taste bad,” a perception that Gutiérrez hopes to sink.

¨We are second-ranked as a country worldwide for having the fattest kids, and we are now in first place for having a bad diet in general. Eating up all those sardines can improve both situations,” he added.

Source: La Segunda

Comments

David Dodd Oct. 18, 2009 @ 5:59 p.m.

"Mexicans, he said, avoid eating sardines because they think 'they smell bad and taste bad,' a perception that Gutiérrez hopes to sink."

That isn't a perception, it's a reality. We have some excellent seafood here in Baja. Sardines? We don't need no stinking sardines.

SDaniels Oct. 18, 2009 @ 6:08 p.m.

What about the original Caesar salad, with anchovies? Anchovies ok, sardines no? :) And what of fresh grilled sardines? More of a Mediterranean thing?

SDaniels Oct. 18, 2009 @ 7:18 p.m.

Joe, have you ever tasted a freshly grilled whole sardine, with a bit of salt, pepper, and lemon?

Try them here, if you're willing. This is a good place to eat--trust me:

Joe Poutous Oct. 18, 2009 @ 7:52 p.m.

The Ceviche looks really good!

might have to try it. - Joe

David Dodd Oct. 18, 2009 @ 8:42 p.m.

The issue with Baja is that we already have a wide selection of much better tasting fish than sardines. I reckon if you don't have much of a choice, or if you find sardines so amazingly cheap that you just can't help yourself, then sardines might be fine. But when I can buy really tasty and incredibly fresh fish for under three dollars a pound, it sort of takes sardines off of the menu. Just saying.

SDaniels Oct. 18, 2009 @ 8:45 p.m.

Well, I happen to like sardines as well as any fish I've ever tasted, and it is a good environmental choice, if you do like them.

David Dodd Oct. 18, 2009 @ 9:03 p.m.

You may have all of my sardines, SD :)

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 18, 2009 @ 9:15 p.m.

Sardines are awful, so are anchovies.

I hear runyon are OK though.

SDaniels Oct. 18, 2009 @ 9:32 p.m.

If you prepare them with care, refried, I'll take 'em! :) Runyon?

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 18, 2009 @ 9:38 p.m.

Grunyon? What the hell are the names of those little fish that swim up on the beach???

David Dodd Oct. 18, 2009 @ 9:44 p.m.

It's "grunion", SurfPup. I don't care for them, the flavor isn't so bad but they're boney and there's very little meat on 'em.

SDaniels Oct. 18, 2009 @ 10:03 p.m.

Sounds like they aren't a very romantic menu choice after all...;)

jerome Oct. 19, 2009 @ 8:33 a.m.

sardines,anchovies,smelt....never had a grunion>>>> those little fish are found world wide as a fresh seasonal delicacy >>>i'll take yours charlie the tuna

SDaniels Oct. 19, 2009 @ 8:43 p.m.

"a fresh seasonal delicacy..." Exactly, Jerome. Sardines and anchovies add a layer of flavor to many dishes, especially Italian dishes, that is lost without them. My puttanesca would not be the same, in particular--and gringo, you have probably eaten and enjoyed both these fishies in Italian restaurants without even realizing it... :)

David Dodd Oct. 20, 2009 @ 2:57 p.m.

SD, don't get me wrong, I've eaten sardines and I don't hate them, but I find the article humorous. The variety of seafood in Baja is amazing! Fresh and varied, available and relatively inexpensive, it surprises me greatly that the Mexican government is pushing sardines. Once you heal and are able to visit this place, one stop will certainly be at the fish markets on Sixth Street, they're amazing!