“No, what’s that,” said the uniform, his voice kind in a way that made me suspect my father might have already told this one a few times while under the influence.

In his best Jamaican accent, Dad delivered the punch line: “Pokémon!” Then he turned to me and said, “My feelings are hurt. When I first got in here, a young woman told me to turn around and show her my ‘better side.’” He was on a roll.

“They told me you could eat right away,” I said. “I’ll wait outside while you get dressed and then take you anywhere you want to go, patient’s choice.” Asking was a formality. I knew Dad would want to go to Denny’s, where the food was familiar and the senior discount kicks in at 55. I knew with equal certainty that on the way there, he would apologize a few more times for having left his wallet at home and that he would tell me the Jamaican-proctologist joke at least once more before our breakfast was served.

Comments

angelp Oct. 14, 2009 @ 1:17 p.m.

your dad sound like a great guy, hope all is well on that end... (no pun intended)

SDaniels Oct. 14, 2009 @ 3:51 p.m.

I get at least two of these a year, and have learned to insist on being knocked out under general. No fun waking up during endos at all, upper or lower. Sounds like your dad opts for the local, if he's able to peruse his 'canals' :)

antigeekess Oct. 14, 2009 @ 5:26 p.m.

Glad to hear your dad is taking care of himself, and that his innards are so pink and lovely. Most old-school military types would rather croak than go see a doc.

Mine did. Colon cancer, 20 years ago.

Get that colonoscopy, guys.

pinkshoes Oct. 14, 2009 @ 6:51 p.m.

Thanks Barbarella, Having lost my dad almost 10 years ago I am constantly missing his witty banter. Your dad sounds like he was cut from the same cloth. It warms my heart to "hear his voice" again (in a manner of speaking).

deniseathome Oct. 14, 2009 @ 8:02 p.m.

If your dad likes a deal take him to the M hotel the next time you are in Las Vegas. The senior discount kicks in at age 50 with a player's card and the buffet not only as above average food, beer and wine are free.It's also the only hotel that I know of with a full pharmacy in the lobby.

vicedevice Oct. 16, 2009 @ 3:23 p.m.

I love your writing style. I look forward to your article each week. Your style just flows and your honesty is pure, thats great. Anyway your Father sounds like a member of the Greatest Generation. Just a guess. But what a gentleman anyway. They always put others ahead of themselves. And it sounds like you love your Dad alot, what a heartwarming story. Barb, Keep up the good work and making my week:)))