“Dude, I am so hungover,” he told the ­redhead.

She laughed, while I tried to block them out. I cursed them for ruining my moment! I expected a little more decency today of all days. I ­wasn’t asking for porch dwellers with violins, but I had been hoping for a little peace and ­quiet.

“I miss that bitch!” I heard the man behind me ­say.

“Who? Your ex-wife?” the redhead ­asked.

He grunted, “Yes.”

­“It’s okay to miss her,” she ­said.

“You know I still have our wedding pictures,” he ­replied.

­“It’s important to hold on to memories, as long as you ­don’t hold on too tightly,” she told ­him.

It was as if she was speaking directly to me. I wanted to shout out “thank you” and maybe even “sorry” for judging you so quickly. It may not have been Don LaFontaine or a lady with a violin, but the redhead and her hungover friend spoke exactly what I needed to ­hear.

My day remembering my dad may not have turned out exactly as I would have expected, but nonetheless it was perfect. I sat quietly on the beach taking in the sound of the water and the murmur of a hungover dude and his rebound girlfriend while thinking of my dad. I ­couldn’t have asked for ­more.

Comments

David Dodd Nov. 30, 2009 @ 11:58 p.m.

It comes from where you least expect it sometimes. Very well done, and I'm sorry for your loss. But hangover dude and the red-head are right. It's in the memories. Best to you, Siobhan.

antigeekess Dec. 1, 2009 @ 3:32 a.m.

Lovely entry, Sibohan. I lost my dad 20 years ago.

I think that some of those memories may come back to you, in time. I think pain (associated with loss, in this case) blocks memories for a while, as a defense mechanism.

DaniLauder Dec. 1, 2009 @ 9:11 a.m.

This was one of the best written blogs I have seen on this site. Well written Siobhan. My father passed away five years ago so I was really able to connect with this.

Josh Board Dec. 1, 2009 @ 10:03 a.m.

Sibohan, What a lovely and well-written piece. I like to imagine your dad is somewhere, and able to read it. He's very proud, I'm sure.

Best wishes to you, during what must be a difficult time.

RobertScorpio Dec. 1, 2009 @ 10:07 a.m.

I agree with Josh. I am sure you're father is somewhere and very able to read this post, and very proud.

All the best to you during these times. Just have to know things will somehow work out.

Jane Belanger Dec. 2, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

Thanks for sharing this, Siobhan. It really struck home with me. My dad died 13 years ago, on Halloween night. Each Halloween since then has been very different from the previous ones. Like you, I always wonder what the day will be like.... Also, like you, I panic a bit when I can't remember certain things about him. I've been dreaming about my dad a lot lately, and I remember things I thought I had forgotten. I hope you hear your dad's voice again in your dreams.

David Dodd Dec. 2, 2009 @ 8:34 p.m.

Siobhan, this was a very well-deserved win and very well done!

DaniLauder Dec. 3, 2009 @ 1:53 p.m.

I am so glad I found this thread again. I had my friends at work read this just now and they all cried. Time to go home now and thanks for this great story.

anniej April 18, 2012 @ 8:32 p.m.

wow, thank you for a great story.

amazing isn't it how much we miss them when they are gone, i often think "if i could have one more day - he use to make me laugh like no other".