At a Friday, November 13, news conference held at the 12th and Imperial Avenue trolley station, Metropolitan Transit System representatives announced plans to make cutbacks to service.

According to transit-system spokesman Rob Schupp, “Sales-tax shortfalls and the improper elimination of state transit-assistance funds are forcing MTS to reduce its expenses by more than $7 million. To preserve the network of weekday services and to impact as few riders as possible, [we are] proposing to substantially reduce service on Sundays. All routes will be affected.”

“Boy, this is a bummer,” said transit user Mark Bower. “I use the bus a lot on Sundays to go to the beach! I also depend on the MTS routes to get to school during the week.”

At the conference, Jeff Wagner of the California Transit Association announced plans to negotiate the reinstatement of transit-assistance funds that have been diverted by the State of California.

To inform the public and gather input, MTS will host public outreach meetings at various transit stations and centers throughout the week (see below for places and times).

The San Diego Metropolitan Transit System transported more than 94 million passengers last year on 95 bus routes and 53 miles of trolley rail.

Sunday, Nov. 15 – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Iris Avenue Trolley Station, 3120 Iris Ave. (Iris Avenue & 30th Street)

Tuesday, Nov. 17 – 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

352 S. Marshall Ave. (W. Main Street & S. Marshall Avenue), El Cajon

Wednesday, Nov. 18 – 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Southwestern College, 900 Otay Lakes Road, Chula Vista

Saturday, Nov. 21 – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Plaza Bonita, 3030 Plaza Bonita Road, National City

Sunday, Nov. 22 – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Fashion Valley, 1205 Fashion Valley Rd. (Friars Road & Fashion Valley Road)

Sunday, Nov. 22 – 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Rancho Bernardo Transit Station, 16785 West Bernardo Drive

Comments

PistolPete Nov. 16, 2009 @ 12:54 a.m.

Attention taxpayers!!!! I highly recommend some astroglide and a box of condoms...

Foster75 Nov. 16, 2009 @ 8:10 a.m.

Great! I found out that my three major routes are changing again: 962, 963 and 856. I protest!

Donald Nov. 16, 2009 @ 11:41 a.m.

Having retired and not allowed to drive because of my leg injury, I really need to have great service on Sundays when I need to go to church and enjoy a day off from visits to the doctors and clinics. Can MTS raise the fares again?

I would rather pay a little more, than having to cut services.

Robert Johnston Nov. 16, 2009 @ 3:15 p.m.

I cut my blogging eye-teeth on this issue up here in North County. Now it's gotten where NCTD is considering outsourcing it's bus fleet to First Transit of Ohio. Drivers, maintenence, office workers...they all will be working for a new boss, with less in wages and bennies.

The union that represents NCTD and MTS drivers are plenty steamed...but that's not going to change diddly/squat. With the current "anti-union" climate here in San Diego County, sympathy for the drivers isn't easy to find.

The Public Be Damned? The Public IS Damned, according to MTS and NCTD!

--RKJ

Microsoft92114 Nov. 22, 2009 @ 4:39 p.m.

Several organizations are working on getting a petition drive as well as a letter writing effort to government leaders to get them to stop diverting funds from mass transportation projects. In the past decade over $5-billion have been diverted in CA from the voter approved mass transportation projects into other areas that should not be getting the funds. Please help if you are concerned by sending your questions or proposals to the researchers at sd.reader@live.com or leave a message 24-hours a day at 619-674-7713. Increasing mass transportation projects helps keep our environmental polution down. Instead of reducting services, we should be increasing services.

Microsoft92114 Nov. 24, 2009 @ 9:28 a.m.

There is a meeting planned for December 3, 2009 for those interested in the letter writing campaign to increase funds for mass transportation to reduce the air pollution and reducing gas consumption. Please call 619-674-7713 and leave a message if you are interested.

GGaines Dec. 9, 2009 @ 10:23 a.m.

I think that you have some interesting facts about what is going on with the transits system. Keep up the great work!!!!!!!

PistolPete Dec. 9, 2009 @ 8:09 p.m.

WOW! I actually have to agree with fumber for once. Bookmark this page people! O_o

GGaines Dec. 11, 2009 @ 3:43 p.m.

I attended the Board Meeting on December 10, Thursday. I hope that they can do something about looking into others options instead of having services cuts.