Steve Wagner
Brewmaster, Stone Brewing Co.

I’ve always been a film noir fan, and Polanski’s Chinatown offers a 1970’s update on the style that does the masters proud. Water, real estate, politics, and racism in Chandler-era Los Angeles.

Endless Summer is another one I never get tired of watching. Surf, humor, and world travel — plus it’s family-friendly. My kids Walter and Henry love to watch this when they’re not surfing.

Chinatown (Special Collector's Edition) (USA) 1974, Paramount
The Endless Summer (USA) 1966, Image Entertainment

Mike Palmer
Art director/creator of Stone Late Night Movies, Stone Brewing Co.

300 was a visual masterpiece. That said, it made me roll my eyes so much that you might’ve thought I was having a seizure. So why would I suggest Zack Snyder’s tribute to misplaced teenage male aggression? Because if you download the Rifftrax.com commentary (from the cast of Mystery Science Theater 3000) to play with it, it becomes the comedy it was meant to be.

Korea has lately been at the forefront of new ideas in cinema. Oldboy, the second movie in Chan-wook Park’s revenge trilogy, isn’t for everyone. It’s deeply disconcerting yet like no film you’ve ever seen.

300 (USA) 2007, Warner Home Video
Oldboy (South Korea) 2004, Tartan Video

Jake Ratzke
Distribution Supervisor,
Stone Brewing Co.

A Clockwork Orange has a young Malcolm McDowell, Milk Bars, and ultra violence all set to techno-style Beethoven. If you can come up with a better combination, let me know. Stanley Kubrick brings Anthony Burgess’s novel to life and asks the question: Is a future where society “cures” violence a good thing or bad?

Pineapple Express is this generation’s version of Cheech and Chong. Seth Rogen is the comic genius of our time. If you don’t laugh out loud at some of the scenes in this movie, you might want to check for a pulse.

A Clockwork Orange (Two-Disc Special Edition) (England/USA) 1971, Warner Home Video
Pineapple Express (USA) 2008, Sony Pictures

Comments

mike1 June 13, 2009 @ 8:28 p.m.

"Seth Rogan is the comic genius of our time." Perhaps you've had a little too much brew.

Josh Board Sept. 10, 2009 @ 3:24 p.m.

Seth Rogan can be funny. Pineapple Express wasn't the vehicle for him, though. Very disappointing film. Check out Funny People when it lands on DVD soon.

PistolPete Sept. 10, 2009 @ 3:32 p.m.

I've heard that Funny People wasn't so funny.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 10, 2009 @ 3:43 p.m.

I think Seth Rogen is a major dork. He was on Conan a few nights ago, and he fully confirmed his dork status to me.

The worst part-that idiot is doing a "Green Hornet" feature film right now-one of the all time classic super heros. I hope Rogen is NOT playing Britt Reed.

Josh Board Sept. 11, 2009 @ 11:03 a.m.

Saying a comedian is a major dork, is a major flaw. That's part of the funny.

I mean, do people consider Albert Brooks, Woody Allen, Tommy Smothers, Jonathan Winters, to be cool? Or to be dorks?

Seth totally plays up that stoner, dopey thing. Those are the characters he's playing.

Although, I think casting him in Green Hornet was a poor choice. It ranks up there with Batman casting former stand-up comedian and dork, Michael Keaton, as Bruce Wayne. He looks more like a "joker" than the suave Wayne character.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 11, 2009 @ 12:09 p.m.

========================

That is NOT a character-in fact Rogen was on The Tonight Show just a couple of days ago and he was talking up his dope smoking. So it is in no way an "act" or a "character", it i shim.

. . . "Saying a comedian is a major dork, is a major flaw. That's part of the funny."

OK, Seth Rogen is the ULTIMATE dork!

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 11, 2009 @ 12:11 p.m.

Michael Keaton actually turned in a better performance than most people anticipated in Batman.

No way Rogen is going to make the a decent Green Hornet-but time will tell.

Josh Board Sept. 12, 2009 @ 2:08 a.m.

Don't get me wrong. I assumed that Rogen smoked dope. I think most young people do.

But, stories they tell on late night shows can't be taken as serious. Sometimes they do that because it ADDS to the characte they are playing. Other times, they just exaggerate a story because it makes for good TV.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 12, 2009 @ 9:25 a.m.

Fair enough JB-but when Green Hornet comes out and flops you will eat your Seth Rogen words.

Josh Board Sept. 12, 2009 @ 11:18 a.m.

Hey...I thought Robert Downey, Jr. was a poor choice for a super hero, and Iron Man rocked.

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 12, 2009 @ 5:12 p.m.

OMG JB, what am I going to do with you???????????????

The difference between Doney and ROegn is liek comparing MLB to Little League.

Robert Downey Jr is an accomplished, 3 diminsional actor with an Academy Award nomination for Best Actor under his belt. Seth Rogen is the same cahracter in all his movies-and in real life.

Go rent "Chaplin" or "Less than Zero", and compare either of those two films to ANYTHING Rogen has EVER done.