Ninety-one miles east of San Diego, Borrego Springs and Anza-Borrego Desert State Park are popular springtime destinations for wildflower lovers.

But take a jaunt down Borrego Springs Road a couple of miles to Galleta Meadows, a privately owned estate, and a surreal menagerie of gigantic metal creatures by sculptor Ricardo Breceda appears in the midst of the desert.

Imagine coming upon them by chance as I did: I could hardly believe my eyes. I got out of my car and walked among them. Not another soul was in sight. I listened to the wind blowing through scrap metal dinosaurs, camels, mammoths and giant sloths, grinding and groaning as if the creatures were about to spring to life. A prehistoric sabertooth leaps over cactus and across the sands, chasing a wild horse.

Frozen in time, like a bizarre ancient drama, this desert safari awaits you right here in Galleta Meadows.

I stayed at the 21-unit Stanlunds Resort Inn and Suites, a 1950s-style oasis at 2771 Borrego Springs Road, Borrego Springs. May through September off-season rates range from $50-$90 a night; for a longer stay, they offer reasonable weekly or monthly rates. For $10, my black Poodle “Angel” was welcome too.

Comments

INFJAngie July 19, 2009 @ 10:56 p.m.

It seems as if a large number of news services and magazines have laid off their editors these days. I thought the Anza-Borrego and Borrego Springs was east of San Diego...

ptmcarron July 19, 2009 @ 11:25 p.m.

Regarding Bonnie Maffei's account of a recent trip to Borrego Springs:

I believe that Borrego Springs is Ease (actually Northeast) of San Diego and NOT West of San Diego.

And the last time I drove to Borrego Springs from Downtown San Diego the trip was 91 miles (and that was the shortest route).

As for Galleta Meadows Estate it is actually located in several places in Borrego Springs.

The sculptures are trully amazing and fascinating. Worth the trip (but probably in cooler weather)

Bonnie Maffei July 20, 2009 @ 9:03 a.m.

78 miles WEST would take you to the middle of the Pacific Ocean! How did I miss that? Sorry, you guys.

Russ Lewis July 20, 2009 @ 9:53 a.m.

The very same mistake (in reference to Cucamonga) occurs in the very first sentence of Barry Miles's otherwise excellent biography Zappa, Bonnie. You'll notice the world is still turning.

Reader Staff July 21, 2009 @ 2:44 p.m.

The proximity of Borrego Springs to San Diego has been corrected. We regret the error.

Bonnie Maffei July 20, 2009 @ 8:59 a.m.

Ooops! You're right, east. And, yes the sculptures are spread out in different places. You got me there!

Bonnie Maffei July 22, 2009 @ 9:04 a.m.

The secret to getting noticed and receiving lots of comments on your Travel Story? Make lots of mistakes...but not on purpose, of course. Thanks for correcting things, Reader_ Web_Admin!

Bonnie Maffei Nov. 29, 2009 @ 1:39 p.m.

Thanks for posting my video, Reader! It wasn't finished when you first published my story. I hope the readers enjoy it!

antigeekess Nov. 29, 2009 @ 4:35 p.m.

Love the video, Bonnie! Your choice of music is great, here. It would be nice to see an end credit for it.

Also, I personally love hyperlinks for further investigations. I found Breceda's website right here: http://ricardobreceda.com/

Pretty easy to guess, no?

Again, great vid. Hope to see more from you soon.

Bonnie Maffei Dec. 5, 2009 @ 3:55 p.m.

Thanks! Really glad you enjoyed it! Music credits? I guess that would also be me. I've created some short pieces using Garage Band software on my iMac computer. So... End Credits: Camera: B.Maffei - Sony Handycam DCR-SR45 Camera Editor: B.Maffei - Apple iMovie software Musical Score/Sound Effects - B.Maffei - Apple Garage Band software

Bonnie Maffei Dec. 5, 2009 @ 3:58 p.m.

I've submitted several more. Let's see if they make the grade.

Just curious, Antigeekess, what line of work are you in? I am a screenwriter, artist, real estate agent, therapist, and mini-movie-maker. :-)