“I was on the Blue Line trolley heading south to San Ysidro around 5:30 a.m. when it hit a guy talking on his cell phone,” said college student Jennifer Tull.

The County of San Diego Medical Examiner office verified that a single 29-year old male resident of San Diego was killed by blunt-force injuries to the head and torso on Thursday, December 17, at 5:46 a.m.

“The guy ran in front of the trolley without even looking,” said Tull. “He was too busy talking on his cell phone while trying to cross the tracks.” Fire department and police department officials responded to the scene, but resuscitation efforts failed.

A trolley track near Schley Street and Harbor Drive was closed for the investigation but service continued on parallel tracks.

Comments

GGaines Dec. 19, 2009 @ 8:45 a.m.

Hey Noel, This is an interesting story about this incindent. Keep up all the great story.

Microsoft92101 Dec. 19, 2009 @ 10:27 a.m.

We need to have safer paths across trolley tracks. That's why we need to have dedicated busways and train tracks. People just can't get away from their phones.

a2zresource Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:43 p.m.

This tends to show that obsessive oblivious cell phone usage is an indication of natural de-selection for survival.

a2zresource Dec. 19, 2009 @ 12:48 p.m.

Many years ago, I was a witness to the Orange Line running over somebody racing the trolley into the 62nd Street Station, as he had just left the nearby EDD office on his way to a job interview in La Mesa, I believe.

If he had been holding a monthly transit pass in his possession, then he wouldn't have lost to the trolley while doing a superman leap across the tracks.

They had to use massive airbags to lift the trolley off of him.

Fortunately, all he lost was a foot.

rickeysays Dec. 19, 2009 @ 1:32 p.m.

I'm with you. Any pedestrian who's so oblivious they can't avoid a train is too stupid to live.

BrockHankins Dec. 28, 2009 @ 2:15 p.m.

Hi, I am a new intern working with Noah on getting my writing skills improved. I am interested in doing stories in sports especially basketball so stories involving students interest me.

ColletteAnderson Jan. 1, 2010 @ 7:20 p.m.

Wow getting mentoring from Noe is cool. Got a grant for $5,000 to be a community leader checking out happennings in the community. We get cell phones and learn how to write stories.