“Late Sunday night, I was sleeping in my car beside the liquor store when I heard a loud explosion,” said Steward Marshall, who moved to San Diego to attend college. “I was still kind of asleep, so I thought it was an accident on Midway Drive or something. But pretty soon a fire was blazing at the building next door.”

The two-story office building at 3026 Midway Drive — where a fire started at around 9 p.m. on December 13 — was almost destroyed, but no one was hurt. A Déjà Vu strip club office and Blow Out Video occupied the building. Midway Mine and Spirits, the liquor store next door, barely escaped the blaze. Midway Drive was closed off to traffic until late Monday.

Authorities say that the cause of the fire is still under investigation. Norman Baccash, the video-store owner, confirms that he lost about $100,000 in merchandise.

Comments

Microsoft92101 Dec. 19, 2009 @ 11:01 a.m.

Mighty suspicious. What could cause an explosion?

a2zresource Dec. 20, 2009 @ 8:53 p.m.

I know... I know!!

The employee pix in payroll records were just too darn HOT!

PeytonFarquhar Dec. 21, 2009 @ 12:11 p.m.

Follow the money - how far in the red are either the strip club or the video store? It's possible the bldg was blown up for the insurance.

GGaines Dec. 21, 2009 @ 4:31 p.m.

I wonder if companies can get grants too. They probably get insurance money to pay for this kind of loss.

Congratulations on Noe's 24-hour World Vision Support Network (WVSN) to help process grants to organizations in need as well as individual students. Helping over 200 students get over $1,000,000 in grants this past year can provide lots of story tips!

Lots of student spot events happenning every day!

BrockHankins Dec. 28, 2009 @ 2:20 p.m.

Hi, I'm a new intern working with Noah to improve my writing skills. Anyone covering basketball games?

StewardMarshall Jan. 1, 2010 @ 7:57 p.m.

Hello! I was the one that gave Noe the lead info. Thanks Noe for your Community Leaders Program and the $25 for the tip. Please email me if you have any more questions on what I saw at the fire.