"Join the revolution!" says “Big Kahuna” from his post in front of Target on Auto Park Way. "Legalize marijuana!"

Kahuna (who says he was born in Hawaii) has gathered signatures at Target, Walmart, and grocery stores around San Diego for months. He represents the California Coalition for Legal Marijuana.

"We get old, young, and middle-aged signers who see the potential for state revenue,” he says. “We took a poll three weeks ago and found out 60 percent of the people in California support our cause."

The U.S. Army veteran says he’s been a marijuana activist since the 1980s.

"[Legalization would] reduce our state deficit and give a shot in the arm to our economy," he says, comparing bootlegging during Prohibition to the violence at the Mexico-U.S. border. "When we legalized Irish whiskey, the Italians and the Irish stopped killing each other. Legalizing marijuana will change things at the border."

Comments

David Dodd Dec. 17, 2009 @ 12:03 a.m.

True. In part. The U.S. also has to legalize cocaine and heroin, but marijuana is a good start.

scottportraits Dec. 17, 2009 @ 10:39 p.m.

Hopefully Jerry Brown, ex-mayor of Oakland, will be elected Governor. Then, by 2011, state-wide decriminalization and 'low-prioritization' will probably be enacted. By 2013 cannabis-extract will be in Schedule 3, and smokable marijuana will be legal in California. Some legitimization of growing and 'manufacturing', and tight security and regulation, will be imposed. License fees, paying income-tax, fire-proofing, robbery security, etc etc will need to be addressed. By 2015 California will have it's first wave of cultivation/distribution millionaires !!

thestoryteller Dec. 18, 2009 @ 3:07 p.m.

"Big Kahuna" saw this article today and was upset that the editor changed the name of his group from the "California Coalition for Legal Marijuana," to the "California Coalition for Medical Marijuana." "Medical marijuana is already legal!" he said. He wants a retraction.

--Mindy Vansant

xians421 Dec. 18, 2009 @ 4:47 p.m.

The biggest problem with this bill (I'll vote for it, even though i no longer smoke) is the timing. All of us politicos know that Democrats and stoners (is there a diff? Discuss;o)) )don't come out in large enough numbers on non prez election years. Wait til 2012.

PistolPete Dec. 26, 2009 @ 5:53 p.m.

I met the Big Kahuna this afternoon while buying asswipe. Very cool guy. Even though I no longer partake in the illegal consumption of Mary Jane, I'll ALWAYS support medical usage.

thestoryteller Dec. 28, 2009 @ 4:57 p.m.

"Big" is great. I took a copy of the Reader to him yesterday, so he could see his story. He was most appreciative.

mclonizzle Jan. 26, 2010 @ 9:44 p.m.

Big Kahuna is scaring the Puritan out of everyone in Escondido. Props to him and to his cause. Perhaps he could put a "repeal prop 8" sign out while he's at it.

PistolPete Jan. 26, 2010 @ 10:19 p.m.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! Awesome idea!!!! How about convincing him, Mindy?

PistolPete Jan. 26, 2010 @ 10:50 p.m.

Jeez. Once again, can someone tell me why this is Called America's Finest City? I'm just....failing miserably trying to understand the logic of it all...

SDaniels Jan. 26, 2010 @ 11:41 p.m.

re: #4: "Democrats and stoners (is there a diff? Discuss;o)) )"

C'mon, xian (good to see ya), you know pain knows no political boundary ;)The pope'd be smoking grass if he knew it would curb his 'roids. (the current pope, not the previous one, who apparently was into self-flagellation and probably enjoyed pain).

re: #10: Pete sobbed:

"Once again can someone tell me why this is Called America's Finest City?"

Once again, and one last merry time:

You are pretty much the only one calling it that at this point. Do you find that people go around calling their cities these ridiculous things? Maybe Detroit still likes the sound of "Motor City," for example, but you don't hear San Diegans running around talking about the "finest" unless they are manipulating it for a political speech, which then narrows your audience to the hacks down at City Hall. Question resolved? Ok! Now: stop "failing miserably!" ;)

Russ Lewis Jan. 26, 2010 @ 11:51 p.m.

Pete, newscasters and politicians are the only people who ever do or ever did use that phrase. Nobody else. (The slogan before that was "San Diego -- city in motion.")

PistolPete Jan. 27, 2010 @ 12:51 a.m.

I hear common people use it all the time. :-/

SDaniels Jan. 27, 2010 @ 1:49 a.m.

You are SO full of it, Pete. It's a huge part of your schtick, so you keep pimpin' it at us, claiming "common folk" use it, but we know the truth--either you are hanging out with Max Headroom, or lying. Lying? Hmm. Nahhhhh. ;)

PistolPete Jan. 27, 2010 @ 10:52 a.m.

How the f*** are you going to sit there and tell me what I've heard Natives say and what they haven't said? russl IS correct in that you do usually hear only politicos and newscasters say it but I've heard people on the street say it as well.

Robert Johnston Feb. 5, 2010 @ 12:50 p.m.

Better "America's Finest City" for SD than some of the alternatives, especially ones for cities up here in North County. Try these for size:

(Oceanslime) Oceanside--"Where The Crime Meets The Grime and The W@%$* Works The Shore!"

Bakersfeild--"Uh, dude, I don't think we're in LA anymore!"

(Escondoodoo) Escondido--"No habla Espanol, muchacho--Vamanos!

Hanford--"Here we party like it's 1959!"

Armona--"Water that you can smell from ten miles away!"

Children's Pool, La Jolla--"Just when you thought it was safe to take your little ones into the water (insert "Theme From JAWS" here)..."

Might think of a few more later. LPR

PistolPete Feb. 5, 2010 @ 2:05 p.m.

LMAO!!!! You DO have a good point there, LPR...

SDaniels Feb. 5, 2010 @ 2:41 p.m.

No way really to call your bluff, but your constant claim that San Diegans run around referring-- in common parlance--to their city as "America's Finest" is rather suspect to those of us who are natives, or have lived a large portion of our lives here--and I can honestly say I have NEVER heard anyone, I repeat: anyone, do this in common parlance.

If you aren't lying, then here's my alternate theory. It gets a little technical, so read carefully:

You live where there is some signage with this phrase on it, or you just tend to notice city signage wherever you go. It gets stored in that great lumpen mass you call a cerebellum, and tends to "clot" just as red blood cells do, in the brain. So when clot breaks free, it causes Pete to go into a kind of "fit," in which he paws the ground with quickening hoofs, until he revvs up enough energy to scoot over to the keyboard and inform Reader readers that yet again, "people" have been daring to refer to San Diego as "America's Finest" again.

The only other possible theory?

Pete has developed voices in his head, and they are all native "San Diegans," crowding and whispering in corners of his mind. Every now and then, maybe every 45 minutes, when Pete is out walking, he stops and accosts a passerby, shouting:

"What did you say?!!!!"

"Nothing" says the puzzled pedestrian.

"Yes! Yes you did! You said "America's Finest!"

"No sir, I didn't say that. I ...didn't say a word."

The pedestrian is fast backing away now, and breaks into a full run, looking over his shoulder to make sure Pete is not lumbering after him.

Pete continues walking, looking into the blank horizon, and mumbling, "godamn San Diegans, and their chargeless, and their "finest." I'll show them who's FINEST!"

Pete casts a glance round for cops and sees none, and relieves himself against the corner of a 7-11. "Take THAT! THAT's what I think of YOUR FINEST!"

Zipping up, Pete is suddenly happier. As he walks home, there is an actual spring in his step!

PistolPete Feb. 5, 2010 @ 3:07 p.m.

I am literally laughing out loud as I type this! That was VERY wrong, plausible, but very wrong. I guarantee, SD, that you are going to s bricks the first time some uses that phrase. You're going to deny and maybe cry, but one day, you'll hear it and s bricks.

PistolPete Feb. 7, 2010 @ 10:46 a.m.

LOL! I never used Escondildo until I moved here. Politically, it's true. Communily, it's not. All of the neighbors around me that I've talked seem very down-to-Earth and blue-collar.