August 28, Friday evening, at approximately 8:20 p.m. two Critical Mass bicyclists collided near the corner of University Avenue and Centre Street. One cyclist was said to be bleeding from his ear. They reportedly were not wearing helmets. Both victims were transported by ambulance to UCSD Medical Center.

The cyclists were headed east on University and were going to make a left on Park Boulevard (northbound). Motorized traffic heading east on University was detoured, but the traffic going west was blocked off.

Critical Mass meets up on the last Friday of the month at the fountain in Balboa Park.

Comments

Visduh Aug. 30, 2009 @ 8:30 p.m.

So a couple Critical Mass riders take it in the. . .ear. Too bad, so sad, I weep. Next time, can't they obey ALL traffic laws and ride such that they don't collide?

iamright Aug. 30, 2009 @ 9:44 p.m.

In the midst of thousands, that's challenging. Perhaps if motorists actually paid attention to bicyclists (and ALL traffic laws - like giving at least 1/2 a lane to someone on a bicycle), people wouldn't feel such a strong need to bond together to ride in such a large group...and such collisions might also be avoided.

isaac4mayor Aug. 31, 2009 @ 12:25 a.m.

I rode the the last two critical mass rides and saw this accident and two others that night. The point of the rides are to promote bicycle safety and to bring all types riders together for fun and enjoyment. It is all of the cyclists responsibility to be bicycle ambassadors and create awareness for a reasonable alternative of transportation. The pace of the ride has been exceeding safe speeds, riders need to stay on the road and off the sidewalk in the correct traffic lanes, and tell everyone "happy friday thank you for waiting." Some of the riders attitudes create problems, and that is what people who ride all the time do not need.

rickeysays Aug. 31, 2009 @ 1:08 a.m.

If the organizers of Critical Mass didn't have their heads up their a$$es, this thing would be cancelled. All this thing does is alienate people, making it more likely they're going to be resentful the next time they have to share the road with a bicyclist.

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 31, 2009 @ 3:23 p.m.

I was into bike riding BIG time many years ago. The incredible cardio pump and riding in the open, especially in Summer and Spring, was so much fun.

But I have been hit by cars-including one major T-Bone accident where the car hit me so hard my pedal was embedded in his plastic bumper. And I went flying head over heals.

It is very dangerous for bicyclists on the open road, and I have also had some major wipeouts too, not fun either.

Russ Lewis Aug. 31, 2009 @ 1:51 p.m.

S***, Josh, that's an incredibly hateful thing to wish on someone just for making you wait in traffic, if you think about it. (I'm guessing you don't have a friend who's maimed or paralyzed.) Next time just chill and take it for what it is: a girl-watching treat. A female flesh parade. Or male, if that's your groove.

StraightDs Aug. 31, 2009 @ 5:47 p.m.

Critical mass is ridiculous.

www.CriticalMassSucks.com

David Dodd Aug. 31, 2009 @ 8:28 p.m.

"I'm rubbing off on you Josh."

I didn't need that visual, Pete.

PistolPete Aug. 31, 2009 @ 8:32 p.m.

LMAO! I figured someone would comment on that relatively soon. :-D

velo333 Sept. 23, 2009 @ 3:02 p.m.

JB, that sounds like a veiled threat. FYI - One never knows when the cyclist one singles out to mess with is packing heat. It happened within the last few years in San Francisco. The cyclist pulled out a gat and shot the cage driver dead. He was never caught. His bicycle didn't have a license plate.

Josh Board Sept. 23, 2009 @ 4:22 p.m.

velo, I'm done fighting with you idiots. Follow the rules of the road, and everyones a happy camper and no threats will be necessary.

I'm guessing you dopes don't pack heat. In your goofy tight bike shorts, I doubt anything else would fit!

Josh Board Aug. 31, 2009 @ 2:23 a.m.

Isaac...it's great that you seem to have half a brain. But let me ask you this? Why in the world, are you not telling the other riders: "Hey...we hurt our cause when we don't obey traffic laws?"

Instead, you probably do what everyone else does. Just not say anything. I was at a movie today, and this guy was sucking his drink, even after it was empty. This went on for 15 minutes straight, with him occasionally messing with his straw. I had to be the one to tell him to knock it off, because idiots in the world are always afraid to tell someone that they're doing something wrong.

grnpop Sept. 25, 2009 @ 7:49 a.m.

Ie any one saw this accident I would like to hear from you. I am the on who was bleeding from the ear . I was told by the polece that the other person was a pedetrian who walked out in front of me...not another cyclist.

thanks, David 619 646 2776 grnslade@aol.com

btw; I cant believe alot of what of what I read hear. But I guess thats why poeple seem the way they do. At any rate I would love to hear from a witness.

grnpop Sept. 25, 2009 @ 4:44 p.m.

Is there anyone who saw this accident; I would like to hear from you. I am the on who was bleeding from the ear . I was told by the polece that the other person was a pedetrian who walked out in front of me...not another cyclist.

thanks, David 619 646 2776 grnslade@aol.com

richardlachina Dec. 29, 2011 @ 8:22 a.m.

It's really too bad, that a riding experience that should be positive has turned into such a disaster. The interesting part is that not all Critical Mass's are like this -- I've ridden CM in London and in Barcelona and had a much safer / positive experience. The three or so times I've ridden CM in San Diego, there have been numerous incidents and accidents.

For whatever reason, It's become more of a Critical Mess here in San Diego.

Richard La China