Some residents of the 5100 block of Savannah Street were woken up at 4:00 a.m. on August 15 to a humming sound and the sound of a severe rainstorm. I went out to stand on the sidewalk and found it wasn't raining at all. The water that was flooding my porch was coming down the sidewalk from a broken water main. My neighbor Jeff called the water department, but they already knew about it. While I quickly showered and washed dishes, Jeff went to talk to the crew of men who had come out to deal with the problem. But a policeman shined a light in his face as if to say, "What do you want? Go away."

The water was ultimately shut off at 5:06 a.m. At 8:15 a.m. I awoke again and found a crew working to fix the broken pipe. Mike, a contractor hired by the city to help with cleanup and personal property damage assessments, told me the water should be turned on by tonight. A truck with water to fill up our buckets will be along later. While assessing the damage to the contents of one neighbor's garage, Mike pointed to another neighbor's house and told me that person had his living room flooded.

Comments

PistolPete Aug. 17, 2009 @ 11:43 a.m.

You people deserve EVERYTHING you get. America's Finest City? Really? Karma's a bitch,ain't it?

karengina Aug. 17, 2009 @ 9:30 p.m.

Yeah, PistolPete, like San Diego is the only city in the country with cast iron pipes. This is an old city. Things like this happen and you know what? The City stepped up quickly and helped us all out. Besides, even the newer iron pipes have a life expectancy. Wherever it is you live, you might go through the same experience some day. Here's hoping you get YOUR living room flooded. You deserve it.

PistolPete Aug. 18, 2009 @ 2:15 p.m.

I've had basements,living rooms and kitchens flooded. It wasn't because of old pipes though. It was because I lived in a part of Illinois that floods now and then. What I didn't do however is tell tourists that Gurnee,Ill was America's Finest City. Eventually I moved to Wisconsin and when I got tired of their bulls--t,I moved here. Now I'm tired of your bulls--t and will be moving in the next couple of years. Maybe Miami. Much better than Sandy Eggo. Prettier too. And they have a sports team that brings local pride. Can't say that about the Chargeless now,can you? Didn't think so. S--tty sports,crime,coruption,greed,wild fires,earthquakes,landslides,infrastructure failing. Boy. For America's Finest City,you sure got your problems. You can re-bury your head in the sand now,karengina......

karengina Aug. 19, 2009 @ 10:19 a.m.

Leave now, PistolPete. And I don't just mean leave this city, I mean leave the planet.

Josh Board Aug. 19, 2009 @ 10:36 a.m.

Sorry to hear about all the flooding Karen. I hope it all worked out okay.

Just ignore Pistol. He comes into threads, shoots his mouth off, to try to get reactions. As my mom would say "just ignore him." Sometimes he's funny, though. So I give the dude a pass.

PistolPete Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11:29 a.m.

It's true Josh. Cocky people are the first ones I laugh at when disaster strikes. Call me the Karma,karma,karma,karma chameleon...

tinastar Aug. 19, 2009 @ 11 p.m.

we would all really apprecite it if you would hurry up and move pete. because Miami is soooo perfect no crime, corruption, or greed there. You? you live here too, or did you forget? and the one main thing in common with all these sh***y cities, is YOU. I'm sure the dolphins love to you as a fan GO CHARGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PistolPete Aug. 20, 2009 @ 12:12 a.m.

LMAO @ tinastar. You're obviously too stupid to to get the point I'm trying to make so I'll just say"Goooooo Packers!".

tinastar Aug. 20, 2009 @ 1:16 p.m.

I got your point.I just didn't think it was a good one. Figures you'd be a cheese head.

PistolPete Aug. 20, 2009 @ 5:05 p.m.

Being cocky and then wondering why karma bites you in the a$$ isn't a good point? Like Barney Frank once said"Lady? What planet have you been living on?" Now granted because I don't know you,I can't say for certain whether or not you're a transplant like me. Most likely,you're not. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that if you're a native Sandy Eggan,you're also proud to live in"America's Finest City"as well and have told others. When I first moved out here,that's mostly what I heard from the natives. It was the way I could tell the difference between a transplant like myself and a native. The natives proudly boasted"Welcome to America's Finest City". The transplants said"Welcome".

David Dodd Aug. 20, 2009 @ 7:46 p.m.

Hey, fumber. I'm just curious, are you really a total moron or have I heard wrong? Half-moron, perhaps? Everyone says you're a moron, but I thought I might give you a chance to clarify it...

SurfPuppy619 Aug. 21, 2009 @ 7:52 a.m.

By refriedgringo

Here, I'll take this one.

Fumbler is 100% total moron. He can't help it, he was born that way. I am thankful Fred has become the object of his fantasys, which means no time left for me. Yahoo!