Shortly after 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, August 6, a 91-year-old man crashed his Dodge Caravan into the entrance railing outside the CVS/pharmacy in the Imperial Beach Promenade Shopping Center.

According to a San Diego sheriff’s deputy on the scene, the driver “…forgot he had put the parking brake on…” as he was maneuvering into the handicapped spot.

The driver’s car jumped the sidewalk, traveled 12 feet into the walkway railing, bending it over several feet, snapping the bottom railing in half. The car’s engine continued to accelerate against the steel bar supports, the spinning tires leaving thick skid marks.

“He got confused with the pedals,” said Sgt. Lopez, who issued the driver a citation. A community service officer on the scene taking pictures was asked if the driver had a license. “Yes,” he answered, “but probably not after this.”

After the driver signed his citation, he handed Lopez several religious pamphlets before heading into the store to pick up a prescription.

Comments

PistolPete Aug. 9, 2009 @ 1:39 p.m.

Only in the f--ked up state of Kaliforniastan.....

Josh Board Aug. 7, 2009 @ 5:10 p.m.

an 88-year-old had a heart attack and died, crashing his car into a guard rail on the 163 going into downtown. please, let's take old peoples drivers licenses.

irishwriter Aug. 8, 2009 @ 7:12 p.m.

1) Heart attacks and other incapacitating ailments can (and do) strike drivers of all ages, without warning. 2) Many more young, aggressive, and careless drivers cause accidents than do older drivers. (Why do you think your insurance is so high?) 3) You'll be old someday too, JoshB--let's see how you like it when someone wants to take your freedom away.

Instead of spouting worthless and insensitive comments, why don't we suggest solutions, like require road tests for license renewal every year, for say, those 70 and up? While I may not like the inference that I'm incompetent at any age, most rational folks would understand the need.

And maybe cash-strapped Calif. could make a few extra bucks ...

truthseekingkat Aug. 9, 2009 @ 10:12 a.m.

hey give the guy some props even after recking his car he still had enough presence of mind to give the officer some religous pamphlets

Josh Board Aug. 9, 2009 @ 2:23 p.m.

irish...I like your idea for license renewel every year after age 70. That sounds good. And, I'd want the DMV to be REALLY strict with those drivers. If they are going 45 on the freeway, they should immediatley flunk the test.

The argument that younger drivers cause more accidents is one of those bogus statistics. Of course it's true. But that's because you have enough teenage jackasses out there, doing crazy things in cars.

And obviously, when I'm 70, I don't want to lose my license. Or if my wife turns 70, or anyone in my family, etc. But by the same token, if I turn that age (or any age), and start mistaken the gas for the brake, my license should be revoked immediately.

Russ Lewis Aug. 9, 2009 @ 2:46 p.m.

Josh, I think the claim is that teenage drivers (and specifically male ones) have the STATISTICALLY highest rate of accidents. And I suspect it's true. But I'm open to correction if anyone knows otherwise.

Josh Board Aug. 10, 2009 @ 1:20 a.m.

Oh, I have NO DOUBT that that statistic is accurate. But there's nothing the DMV can do to screen WHICH teenagers are going to act like idiots behind the wheel. If they pass the test, they pass the test. Maybe they should get strict laws passed that if you get a speeding ticket over a certain speed, before the age of 21, you lose your driving privilege. Things like that, to keep the drag racing down, and other idiotic behavior kids might engage in.

But when old people are so often mistaken which peddle is which, and have medical conditions. I mean...there was this show on COPS or something, where an old guy was driving down the wrong side of the freeway, and didn't even realize it. Even with a cop by his side for miles and miles.

And this isn't anything new!!!

tinastar Aug. 14, 2009 @ 11:10 p.m.

most people over 70 do just fine when driving and need to have their license. are you goig to drive them around? I know so many people who fit into that category and find comments such as,"lets take old peoples drivers licences away", offensive not to mention ignorant.

Josh Board Aug. 16, 2009 @ 3:07 a.m.

I wouldn't drive them around, unless they promised to not soil my leather car seats.

But, I wouldn't mind giving more money in taxes, to have a system that shuttles them around to places they need to go (or even want to go, like Indian casinos).

I'm guessing most over 70, ARE NOT driving well. I've seen too many on the freeway, going 50 miles per hour, or not stopping at stop signs, or so many other various things I read in the paper (at least every few days, there's one running onto a sidewalk or into a building).

Just the other day, a 73 year old woman drove down an embankment and died. Not sure how you just drive down an embankment.

PistolPete Aug. 16, 2009 @ 3:50 a.m.

If I can't have my license for drinking too much,old farts can't have theirs for not paying attention. ALL is fair,in love & war.

Josh Board Aug. 16, 2009 @ 11:47 a.m.

Pete, that's a very good point.

I mean, I don't have sympathy for people that lose their license from DUI, only because I don't think it happens with one offense. I know Donte Stallworth just killed someone becuase of a DUI, got a year suspension from the NFL, and can never drive again. Although, he's rich and famous. He can afford limos the rest of his life.

But the thing is...I'm guessing the % of people over 70, that can't drive well....is about the same % of folks that can't drive well while talking on their cell phones, and laws were passed that now don't let me do that (although I completely ignore that law, as should everyone else that is able to walk and chew gum at the same time)