Most everyone knows about San Diego’s widely publicized St. Patrick’s Day celebrations like Hooleyfest in La Mesa and ShamROCK in the Gaslamp, but for those who are looking for a more intimate St. Paddy’s experience, here are some of our Reader staff members picks:
1. THE NEIGHBOR'S PUB & GRUB, 12169 Woodside Avenue, Lakeside, 619-561-8890. Open 9am to midnight.
Enjoy traditional Irish dishes like corned beef, cabbage and spuds. Meals are just $3. Killean’s pints $2, and don’t forget your "I survived St. Paddy's day at The Neighbors" shot glass.
2. YE OLDE PLANK: 24 Palm Avenue (at Seacoast), Imperial Beach, 619-423-5976. Open 6am to 2am every day of the year.
You'll be spilling onto the beach at this party. The long-time owner Al Winkleman's decided to give FREE food this St. Paddy's day. Corned beef, potato salad etc. This place is an IB institution. Watch out for hanging puffer fish from all over the world. Apart from spontaneous singing among the Navy and beach crowd, you'll probably hear "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" till you throw up.
3. THE OULD SOD: 3373 Adams Avenue, 619-284-6594. Open 10am -2am on weekends and St. Patrick’s Day.
On Sunday, March 15, the Ould Sod offers 20 ounce pints of Irish beer for $3.50, and on Monday, March 17, free Juke Box and your third drink is just a penny!
4. D.G. WILLS, 7461 Girard Avenue, La Jolla, 858-456-1800. Reading begins at 7pm.
For the non-bar crowd, Owner D.G. Wills offers a great alternative way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day featuring an evening of Irish poetry and prose.
5. MCP'S IRISH PUB & GRILL, 1107 Orange Ave., Coronado, 619-435-5289. Open 10am-2am.
All the St. Paddy’s favorites: Green beer, mulligan stew, corned beef and cabbage, rock and Irish bands. Outside Paddy-O decks cleared for dancing.
6. EFFIN'S: Effin's Pub'n Grill, 6164 El Cajon Boulevard, 619-229-9800. Opening early (11am) on St. Paddy’s day.
A favorite of the college crowd, but they're great at laying on the corned beef and coloring those beers.
This is the one place in town you can yell "Gimme an Effin beer!" and not get tossed out on the street.