'I'm just trying to keep real punk alive and keep rock and roll dangerous," says Tim Raldo. "I'm doing shit a lot of people wish they had the balls to do. I've cut myself onstage, performed in the nude, I've even brought in fish heads and other animal parts for performances. I love to see the looks on people's faces as I'm mutilating my flesh, miming with animal sacrifices, and smacking myself around -- it's priceless."
Raldo is aware that audiences tend to dislike being antagonized. "One of our first shows at the Playhouse ended when some guy threw a barstool at us...I've noticed that the people who stand in the back and talk shit almost never have anything to say to me when I call them out. Instead, it seems like it's always the guy in the front, not saying or doing anything, who ends up punching me in the face as soon as I start running through the audience.
"That's punk life," he explains. "Sure, we've played shows that only last three songs before they shut us off or someone falls into our equipment and breaks shit, but that just comes with the territory. Most club owners don't say [anything to me] until I call them trying to book another show, then they say they can't book me again unless I tone it down. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I tell them I'll tone it down, but then I fuck shit up all over again."
WHAT'S IN YOUR CD PLAYER?
1. G.G. Allin, Freaks, Faggots, Drunks, and Junkies ("The most hardcore album ever recorded.")
2. The New York Dolls, debut ("Just as important today as when it was recorded over 30 years ago. They took old-school rock and made it dirty.")
3. Iggy and the Stooges, Raw Power ("The most raw-sounding rock and roll album to come out of the early '70s and, in my opinion, the first punk record.")
4. The Dwarves, Blood Guts & Pussy ("They were at their best in the early to mid-'90s, and this really captures the ugliness that is the Dwarves.")
5. Turbonegro, Ass Cobra ("A favorite because of its intensity and its blatant homosexual theme...with songs like 'Sailor Man' and 'The Midnight NAMBLA,' it makes most homophobes very uncomfortable.")
"South Park, because it never gets old or stale. That show always makes me think...and laugh."
WORST SONG EVER?
"Just listen to the radio for an hour, and you'll hear all the worst songs ever."
HENRY ROLLINS OR JELLO BIAFRA?
"Biafra! Rollins is cool and all, but at least Jello
isn't doing some crap talk show and in a bunch of lame movies."
PET POLITICAL PEEVE?
"I feel strongly about the fact that this country is being run by conservative Christians who want us to be like robots and to think like them. If you think you're better than someone else because you believe in a different God, then you're the same as a terrorist. Christians, Jews, and Muslims are all the same -- they think they're right and everyone else is wrong. Religion is the reason for every war ever...live your life for you, not for some pretend man in the sky."
PERSON WHO MOST NEEDS THEIR ASS KICKED?
"Dick Cheney. There, now there's gonna be a government file on me."
LAST TIME YOU PUKED?
"Last Sunday morning, after a wedding."
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU FEW WOULD KNOW OR GUESS?
"Although my music and stage show is very violent, love is still the most powerful feeling in my heart. I really don't wish harm on anyone. Unless they happen to be looking for it."