Anders Larsson 1 p.m., Sept. 19
RIYL: Kronos Quartet, John Cage
Upcoming Local Shows
- Carlsbad Village — Saturday, September 20, 12pm – 10pm
- Carlsbad Village — Sunday, September 21, 12pm – 10pm
- "Syncopated Space Rockers" · April 16, 2014
- "In Search of High Notes" · June 18, 2013
- "Fifty Years of "Wipe Out": A Surfaris Retrospective" · July 16, 2012
- "Surf — Swarmius takes Orchestra Nova to the Beach" · May 14, 2012
Influences: John Cage, Arnold Schöenberg, Frank Zappa, Webern, Bach, Mozart, Beethoven
Since 2001, composer Joseph Waters has been a professor of music and director of electro-acoustic and media composition at San Diego State University. The 50-something composer/musician has degrees from the University of Minnesota, the University of Oregon, and Yale.
Todd Rewoldt goes by the name of Saximus, on stage. The SDSU music professor performs in a cutting edge avant chamber group headquartered in La Mesa called Swarmius.
Swarmius mixes European classical music with more tribal-sounding African tones. They performed for the first time in early 2008 at the Neurosciences Institute.
Waters founded the NWEAMO (New West Electro-Acoustic Music Organization), which says it promotes “connections between the composers, performers, and lovers of avant-garde classical music and the DJs, MCs, guitar-gods, troubadours, and gourmets of experimental popular music.”
At SDSU, Waters has instituted a new major, Electro-Acoustic Composition, with courses geared toward creative experiments within so-called popular genres such as rock, metal, hip-hop, and electronica.